Written by D.J. Brazier
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Gosh, this is a full on adventurous tale about hope and survival! Then there’s the beautiful friendship between a boy and an otter cub which really gives this story heart and soul. Sam tells his own tale, after the small plane he and his dad were in crashes in an Amazonian jungle river, miles from anywhere. The first sentence seizes your attention, and the book doesn't let it go until the last page. D. J. Brazier has created a jungle that bites, it is scary, and powerful and made me wince and cringe as I read. I felt Sam’s fear and loneliness and admired his grit and determination, I also fell in love with a little otter cub! The story just races along, there are brushes with death, but then there are also moments of quiet, where a beautiful sunrise sears the pages. ‘Alone’ makes you think, makes you feel, and is a thoroughly gripping and enjoyable read. ~ Liz Robinson
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Khadijah - 'Alone contains enough graphic-survival scenes to simultaneously repulse and delight the young reader. Creepy-crawlies, wild beasts, maddening heat, grime and gore...it's got it all.
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 14 - 'I loved how much detail there was in the description of the jungle...The ending was amazing and unexpected as well. I enjoyed this book and would give it five out of five stars.
- Lucie Harrison, age 13 - 'I enjoyed reading Alone a lot because it really made me understand what it feels like to survive a plane crash and then survive on your own. I would recommend this book to older boys and girls.
- Felicity Kerswell, age 13 - 'The book is a really good read! It has everything from emotions to being a bit gross in places!'
- Edel Waugh - 'The book is filled with adventure, danger, survival skills, and a young boy with a strong will to live...Amazing book!'
- Sophia Ufton - 'Amazing story!! One of the best, I’ve read in a long time.'
- Adam Goodman, age 13 - 'An exciting, action-packed and intense book that grabbed me from the start and made me want to read on and on!'
- Jessica Anderson, age 13 - 'This book was amazing. I felt like I was with Sam in the Amazon. Five stars from me!'
- Dylan Sweet, age 12 - 'Alone is a very exhilarating book which grips the reader from the very start.'
- Abraham Fisher, age 13 - 'Alone is a thrilling Bear Grylls style book with a hurtling pace throwing us into a life or death situation. Overall 9/10.'
- Josh, age 14 - 'Great read, a brilliant and gripping survival story!'
- Rose Roberts, age 12 - 'Alone is the kind of book that zaps you into its world. You can't put it down, and even when you are doing something else, your mind is constantly thinking about what will happen. It was brilliant!'
- Emily Price, age 13 - 'I really enjoyed ‘Alone’ and I thought it was amazing. '
- Great Torrington School - '‘Alone’ is a very tense book. It’s one of those books you want to really finish, it’s so crazy!'
Alone by D.J. Brazier
The trip of a lifetime - that's what it was supposed to be, paid for with money Gran left thirteen-year old Sam in her will, but when the small plane taking Sam and his Dad back to the airport crashes in the jungle, Sam is left alone and terrified. As time passes with no sign of rescue, Sam grows weaker and has to dig deep to find levels of resolve and resourcefulness he never knew he had in order to survive. Desperate and close to giving up, Sam's spirits are lifted by the arrival of an otter cub whose companionship and loyalty give Sam the strength he needs to keep going. But when disaster strikes, Sam has to make the hardest decision of his life. Can Sam save his friend and make it out of the jungle alive?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by D.J. Brazier
Andersen Press Ltd
5th May 2016
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods