The Girl of Ink & Stars
Written by Kiran Millwood-Hargrave
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
‘Here be dragons’ it says on old maps, but Isabella finds creatures even more terrifying in the unchartered lands of Joya, the island that is her home. Joya is a place of limited horizons and hidden stories: the governor has closed its ports and banned travel by sea; half the island is out of bounds to the population. When her friend the governor’s daughter gets lost in those Forgotten Territories, Isa accompanies the search party as a cartographer and, unknowing, follows the path of a girl whose brave defence of Joya has long since turned into myth. Map-making and story-telling are linked, says the author, and we all carry the map of our lives on our skin. This is a magical adventure, beautifully told and full of striking ideas on themes of loyalty, courage and redemption.
This will appeal to fans of Katherine Rundell, Frances Hardinge and Philip Womack. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Annie Sherratt, age 11 - 'The Girl of Ink and Stars is an excellent book – the best I’ve ever read. There is a lot of adventure and it's full of unexpected surprises.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'The Girl of Ink and Stars is a rich, involving yet terrifying story and I was practically holding my breath by the last few chapters! An emotional and fantastic story about magic, maps, true bravery and friendship - I would highly recommend it.'
- Anastasia Abdian, age 11 - 'The Girl of Ink and Stars is a fantastic book! Where's the sequel? Was my question when I finished. There is adventure, action and an ancient myth, what more could you need?! It is a must read!'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 14 - This book has fantasy, action, adventure and myth. I really enjoyed how the characters developed throughout the book.
- Ruby Weyman, age 11 - 'The Girl Of Ink & Stars is one of the best books I have ever read . This unputdownable, descriptive tale, is also memorable and beautifully written.'
- Felicity Wilcox, age 13 - 'A book full of Mystery, friendship, wonder, sadness, adventure and danger that I couldn't put down.'
- Matilda Oliver, age 10 - 'This book is as beautifully written as it is illustrated, though it does have some things that you may not want to imagine and several (occasionally sad) twists...It is a wonderful fantasy story for fans of Philip Pullman and Eva Ibbottson.'
- Emily Kirby, age 11 - 'I really enjoyed this beautiful heart-warming action-adventure story about friends and family. If you like books that are fast paced then I highly recommend you read this.'
- Aminah Kauser, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed this book! I liked how it was written and most of the characters.'
- Edward Bailey, age 11 - 'This book did not really appeal to me and would be more directed at readers' that are more into fantasy,and animals?'
The Girl of Ink & Stars by Kiran Millwood-Hargrave
Forbidden to leave her island, Isabella dreams of the faraway lands her cartographer father once mapped. When her friend disappears, she volunteers to guide the search. The world beyond the walls is a monster-filled wasteland - and beneath the dry rivers and smoking mountains, a fire demon is stirring from its sleep. Soon, following her map, her heart and an ancient myth, Isabella discovers the true end of her journey: to save the island itself.
About the Author
More books by Kiran Millwood-Hargrave
Chicken House Ltd
5th May 2016
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7