The Wilderness War
Written by Julia Green
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | June 2016 Book of the Month - In a Nutshell: protest – friendship – the great outdoors
At a time when children are accused of disconnecting from the natural world Julia Green’s story of kids protecting their patch of wilderness is particularly important. The scruffy woods at the end of his street mean a lot to Noah. It’s more than just a place for him and his friends to play away from adult supervision. Noah needs that connection to the wild world, and when he sees a For Sale sign go up he feels physically sick. His friends feel just as strongly and a war against the developers breaks out before the children discover that the law can protect what matters to them. An exciting, often funny story, with a lovely sense of why nature is so important for us all.~ Andrea Reece
Click here to download a specially created activity pack full of exciting outdoor activities to do including building a campfire, making a pond, ID the trees around you, go tracking animals and lots more.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our older Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alex Hall, age 10 - 'I liked this book as it was jam-packed with wildlife and action. I also loved the information at the back of the book, e.g how to make a wild fire and how to create a wildlife pond.'
- Liam Hill, age 7 - 'I really liked The Wilderness War because it was an exciting book. The children in the book want to keep their Wilderness safe and they do loads of different things to do this.'
- Emily Morgan, age 7 - 'I would recommend this book for children that like adventures.'
- Abdulazeez, age 10, Baring Primary School - 'This book shows teamwork, friendship and why we should let Mother Nature live.'
- Emily Yates, age 9 - 'The Wilderness War is a fast-moving, exciting novel about fighting for what you love.'
- Caye Gould - 'A story with a message that children should look after the world they live in and be positive for what they believe in...beautifully written.'
- Martha Cox, age 7 - 'I loved this book and would definitely recommend it to all nature lovers! It's a fun story about a group of friends trying to save a wild place where they play together.'
- Alex Bateman, age 10 - 'This is a wonder of a book that teaches you a crucial lesson about the wilderness and is a must read for anyone interested in animals, books and the wilderness.'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
The Wilderness War by Julia Green
This is our place and we'll fight to save it! A summer spent in the place Noah and his friends call the Wilderness, is a summer spent making dens, sleeping under the stars, and toasting marshmallows over an open fire. It's freedom. Until one day their Wilderness is sold and set for development and their dens torn down to make way for houses. For Noah and his friends this means war and they'll do anything to stop the Wilderness being destroyed. From the author of Seal Island, this exciting new adventure celebrates the outdoors and the freedom to explore it - and with the exclusive, fun tips and ideas in the back of the book, you can make the best of wild spaces too!
'A feel-good tale about standing up for what you believe in and celebrating the outdoors.' The Bookseller
'Resonating with a timeless, magical feel, and with echoes of classics like Tom's Midnight Garden, Green writes of family secrets and wild foxes in this outstanding novel for younger readers.' Bookseller
About the Author
More books by Julia Green
Oxford University Press
2nd June 2016
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley