The Racehorse Who Wouldn't Gallop
Written by Clare Balding
Illustrated by Tony Ross
Lovereading4kids Price £8.79
£10.99 saving £2.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | October 2016 MEGA Debut of the Month | In a nutshell: follow your dreams | Young readers will gallop through Clare Balding’s utterly delightful book – in fact, they’ll be smiling from the very first sentence. Steeped in farm and family life and full of fascinating details from the world of horse racing too, it’s the rags to riches story of Charlie who buys the racehorse no-one else wants and goes on to enter him in the Derby. With a terrific cast of characters, animal and human, it’s a properly heart-warming story. Noble Warrior isn’t the only one to prove what he’s made of thanks to the support of those who believe in him; Charlie too finds the confidence to ignore her brothers’ taunts about her thighs, and even persuades them to work as part of her team. Heaven in a feed-bucket for pony-mad readers, this will win everyone’s heart!
To read about more determined, lively pony-mad heroines see the Jinny series by Patricia Leitch, Olivia Tuffin’s Palomino Pony books and the One Dollar Horse by Lauren St John, or classic National Velvet by Enid Bagnold. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isabel, age 9 - 'A really great book that I thoroughly enjoyed, more please!'
- Amina Hassan, age 10 - 'Astounding and astonishing. I loved this book, the suspense was real...how about you join Charlie, face her problem with her and cheer her on in this great book. It'll be fun I promise.'
- Caye Gould - 'Charlie dreams of winning the Epsom Derby with her horse, Noble Warrior. A beautifully written story with an underlying message, if you want something and work hard at it you can achieve your dream.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 9 - 'What is so special about the horse? Why doesn’t he gallop? Who is naughty Percy? How does Charlie become famous? If you like watching the Derby and horse racing, this is the book for you.'
- Emily Yates, age 10 - 'An easy enjoyable read with fun characters and a lovely theme - don't give up on your dreams!'
- Arun Jethwa, age 11 – Blenheim Primary School 'Great read - fun and humorous throughout! 9/10'
- Esmee Oliver, age 8 - 'This book is funny and easy to read.... I think this book would appeal to people who like horses and those who enjoy a good laugh.'
- Saffron, age 11 - 'This is a very good story and I like the storyline'
- Martha Cox, age 7 - 'Exciting and funny story - not just for horse lovers. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends.'
- Mia Goodman, age 10 - 'A great, hilarious read. It is easy to understand and the wording is simple so I would recommend it to young readers.'
- Annie Sherratt, age 11 - 'This is a perfect book for any horse mad person - like me. I really enjoyed it and the characters in this story are great.... There is lots of courage, determination and perseverance in this amazing book.'
- Ava Townsend, age 6 - 'A story about a young girl, Charlie, and her desire to own a horse. Who better written by than ex-jockey Clare Balding!'
The Racehorse Who Wouldn't Gallop by Clare Balding
Charlie Bass is a horse-mad ten-year-old who dreams of owning her own pony. So when she accidentally manages to buy a racehorse, Charlie is thrilled. The horse she buys, Noble Warrior, looks the part: strong, fit and healthy. There's just one problem - he won't gallop. In fact, he won't even leave his stable without his best friend, a naughty palomino pony called Percy.
Charlie is convinced that Noble Warrior has what it takes to be a champion. But can she prove it? Derby Day is fast approaching and only a win can save the family farm from being repossessed. The stakes couldn't be higher for the Basses.
Can Charlie turn her chaotic family into a top training team? Can Noble Warrior overcome his nerves? Will Percy the pony ever stop farting?
Find out in this classic, funny animal story, perfect for fans of Dick King-Smith and Gerald Durrell.
A heart-warming story with a great girl-power message - Jacqueline Wilson
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Clare Balding
Puffin an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
22nd September 2016
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East