Written by Matt Ralphs
Illustrated by Fred van Deelan
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | In a nutshell: young witch works magic! Young witch Hazel, accompanied by her feisty little familiar Bramley the dormouse, is back for a second lively adventure. Her mother is being held captive in the underworld and her only hope of rescue lies in the hands of wicked Nicolas Murrell who, to make things harder for Hazel, is a prisoner of the Witch-Finder General himself, Matthew Hopkins. This adventure story is full of exciting scenes and dramatic moments, and its demons are genuinely scary; but Hazel is a resourceful as well as an appealing heroine and despite the dark setting of the witch trials – closely based on historical events - there is lots of humour too. A third adventure is promised and will be worth waiting for.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read the first title in the series, Fire Girl. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'Fire Girl is a very good, exciting story – a real page turner...I loved the magical tale of bravery, love and adventure and would highly recommend the book.'
- Traviss Chaytors, age 12 - 'Brilliantly magical!...I really enjoyed this book because it is all full of suspense, action and drama.'
- Kelis Spencer, age 11 - 'I love the book because I love the fact the book starts as if it is modern but as you read on it shows it is in the olden days.'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'This is a magical book full of adventure and danger. I kept on wanting to turn the page and find out what happened next...I would give this book a 10/10!'
- Francesca Hughes, age 13 - 'This book is about family, friendship and being yourself. It is truly breathtaking and will be adored by Harry Potter fans but, yet it’s still unique and original.'
- Dulcie Johnson, age 11 - 'An imaginative and fantastic adventure in magic and witches...I relate to 12 year old Hazel and the story is really gripping and imaginative.'
- Rachel Ilsley, age 11 - 'I really liked this book and I hope another one will come out soon. I found this book magical, adventurous and exciting.'
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - The book says for age 9+, but some readers might want to be older. I hope there will be a sequel.'
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 13 - The characters were brilliant and unique with personality. The plot (which was fantasy and thriller) was great with twists. I would rate it five out of five stars.'
- Amy Laws, age 14 - I found Fire Girl really intriguing...I would recommend the book to anyone who likes to read about different worlds and supernatural creatures such as witches and demons.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Captivating and fast-paced with lots of really good twists...the whole book made me want to discover more about the 1600’s.'
- Hannah Parsons, age 13 - I think that this story is very exciting and interesting, you will find yourself glued to the page! I also think that this book has a unique storyline.'
- Alice East, age 10 - 'This book keeps you on the edge of your seat as it is full of excitement, adventure, magic and DANGER!! This is a nail biting adventure with simple but gripping language.'
- Amelia White - 'This book is better for the younger readers. I read this book but it wasn't really my type, however other people will most likely enjoy it!'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart - 'A magical and exciting adventure story, great for both girls and boys.'
Fire Witch by Matt Ralphs
Hazel Hooper is no ordinary girl. She is a Fire Witch, and she is furious. Ever since her mother, Hecate, sacrificed herself to the demon world in order to stop a demonic invasion, Hazel has been determined to get her back, regardless of the cost. Hazel's only chance to find Hecate is to seek advice from Nicolas Murrell, the Order of Witch Hunters most-prized prisoner, and the very same man responsible for Hecate's loss. With only Bramley, her grumpy dormouse familiar for company, Hazel must disguise herself as a boy and infiltrate the black heart of the Order of Witch Hunters to gain an audience with Murrell. But can he be trusted? Or will Murrell reveal to his captors that their newest apprentice is actually ...a witch?
Fire Witch is the fantastic sequel to Fire Girl by Matt Ralphs - perfect for young readers with a taste for the extraordinary!
Praise for Fire Girl:
“crammed with magic, danger and adventure” The Bookseller
“A fabulous historical adventure combining drama, tension, fear and dry humour” BookTrust
“a masterful blend of alternative English history and thrilling magical fantasy.” BookZone for Boys
“funny, exciting, nail-biting and utterly gripping” The Book Bag
“an extremely impressive debut novel” The School Librarian
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Matt Ralphs
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
25th August 2016
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15