Written by Christian O'Connell
Part of the Radio Boy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
February 2017 Debut of the Month Award-winning broadcaster Christian O’Connell’s hugely entertaining debut novel is power charged! Shocked when he is sacked from his dream job as presenter of hospital radio, eleven year old Spike is determined to find some other way to broadcast. Helped by Holly and Artie, his friends from the school AV club, Spike creates his very own radio station. Reinventing himself as ‘Radio Boy’, Spike uses his broadcasting skills to make himself the super hero he longs to be. Soon he is leading his school in revolt against its head teacher. But maybe even a super hero can go too far? ~ Julia Eccleshare
A Piece of Passion from the Publisher:
We pride ourselves, at HarperCollins Children’s Books, on being the house of home grown talent, but we also have unparalleled experience in taking creative people from other fields and making them the children’s books stars of the future. These people must be brilliant writers and storytellers at heart – and as someone who effectively writes his own breakfast show on the hoof every morning of every week, Christian O’Connell is perfectly placed to be our next big star.
Christian hosts the biggest breakfast radio show in the country, with over three million listeners, but now he has taken every minute of his spare time (some of it in a room at the Dorking Travelodge*) to write Radio Boy – the story of an ordinary boy from a rubbish town with an extraordinary secret radio show… which he broadcasts from his dad’s shed.
I have rarely laughed out loud at a manuscript as much as I have with Radio Boy. Christian is an astonishing talent at voice: this book is breathlessly hilarious and it never lets up pace, all the way to the surprising and touching ending. Spike’s your average awkward 11-year-old, funny and cheeky and with a mum to reckon with. When he becomes the first presenter ever to be sacked from hospital radio, he decides to carry on from a makeshift studio in the garden shed, with the help of his best friends Artie and Holly, disguising his voice and going by the moniker Radio Boy.
Week by week, word gets around and soon Spike is a star… if only people knew it was actually him. When Spike begins to believe his own hype, and goes too far with his mocking of the school headmaster, a hunt is launched for the mysterious Radio Boy. Can Spike remain anonymous? Will he get to marry the girl of his dreams, Katherine Hamilton? Will he become famous and popular? The answer to most of these questions is... no.
Radio Boy is one of our most-anticipated debuts of 2017 and I hope you enjoy reading it and being an early part of Christian O’Connell’s literary journey. Will Spike Hughes ever hit the big time? Unlikely. But I think Radio Boy will...
Publishing Director, HarperCollins Children’s Fiction
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. Click here to read their full reviews.
- Emily Golding, age 9 - 'Bed-wettingly funny; I could not stop laughing! For readers wanting to run a radio show, do NOT follow Spike's path and take a strike on homework unless you want to lose your best friends!'
- Zoe Basson, age 9 - 'This book filled me with laughter from head to toe. It leads you through disaster karate lessons, evil head teachers and homework strikes. This book is genius!'
- Reuben Lunt, age 10 - 'The book tells us not to give up on our dreams and that we all have a superpower waiting to be discovered. Radio Boy’s superpower is being a superstar DJ...He made me believe in my superpower.'
- Alexander Bisland age 11 - 'I give it 5 stars and hope that Christian O’Connell’s debut novel is a 2017 bestseller. I’m looking forward to his second book due out later next year!'
- Amina Walid, age 10 - 'When I was reading it I kept wanting to read the next chapter. If I had it my way I would have been up all night long just reading it.'
- Cally Evans, age 10 - 'This book was extremely well written and easy to read, it was also very funny! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good laugh and adventure because it is hilarious and has a brilliant plot.'
- Alex Hall, age 10 - 'A book of mischief and cunning. Spike Hughes desperately wants to be a DJ and with the help of his friends, Artie and Holly, The Secret Shed Show begins to takes shape. I loved this book.'
- Harsh Budhdeo, age 9 - 'Inspiring! Great book for budding artists - encourages creative minds.'
- Ross O'Gorman, age 10 - 'Radio Boy is a fun-filled page-turner that tells the story of how a boy called Spike Hughes revives his dream of becoming a radio presenter, using the name Radio Boy.'
- Romilly Dally-Fitzsimons, age 10 - 'A really good story about a boy, a secret radio station and the problems that he gets into. Funny! Funny! Funny!'
- Harsh Budhdeo, age 9 - 'Inspiring! Great book for budding artists - encourages creative minds to follow their dream.'
Radio Boy by Christian O'Connell
Meet Spike, aka Radio Boy: a new Adrian Mole on the radio for the internet generation. Spike's your average awkward 11 year old, funny and cheeky and with a mum to reckon with. When he becomes the first presenter ever to be sacked from hospital radio, he decides to carry on from a makeshift studio in the garden shed, with the help of his best friends Artie and Holly, disguising his voice and going by the moniker Radio Boy. Week by week, word gets around and soon Spike is a star...if only people knew it was actually him.
When Spike begins to believe his own hype, and goes too far with his mocking of the school headmaster, a hunt is launched for the mysterious Radio Boy. Can Spike remain anonymous? Will he get to marry the girl of his dreams, Katherine Hamilton? Will he become famous and popular? The answer to most of these questions is no...
On writing his debut, Radio Boy, Christian says: "I spent eight months writing this book in every spare moment. At one sad point, my wife and kids all went off for a week skiing, while I booked a room at my local Travelodge. I actually requested the room with the worst view, for fewer distractions. (It’s room 9 by the way, if you ever want to check it out, at the Dorking Travelodge: it overlooks half the car park.) I would get there at nine in the morning, write till four, then leave, never staying the night. I had post it notes all over the walls. They must have thought I was some kind of serial killer!"
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
More books by Christian O'Connell
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
26th January 2017
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15