Just Call Me Spaghetti-Hoop Boy
Written by Lara Williamson
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2017 Book of the Month A touching and amusing story about belonging and the search for an heroic identity. Adam has always known that he was adopted and it never seemed to matter. After all, he loves his mum and dad and even his sisters Minnie and Velvet. But when he overhears his mum talking about a secret he jumps to the wrong conclusion and begins to feel left out. Determined to take matters into his own hands Adam dreams of finding his real mother and of making himself more special by becoming a superhero. Adam’s explorations of himself will touch all those who are exploring their own sense of themselves. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Just Call Me Spaghetti-Hoop Boy takes a poignant look at family and friendship. Full of hope, heartbreak and humour – in Lara’s words “it’s about realising that being who you are is quite enough. And it is.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to the review by one of the Lovereading4kids editorial experts some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel members were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Emily Walklett, age 12 - 'Absolutely brilliant- totally absorbed with this book from page 1! Instant likeability! This book gets full marks!'
- Lewis Briggs, age 10 - 'I loved this book! This could win so many famous awards for its greatness! I will recommend this fabulous book to all my friends.'
- Sam Harper, age 12 - 'A really good story about the importance of family and the love that holds them together. This will make you feel happy, sad and very glad you read it.'
- Toby Little, age 9 - 'I like this book because it shows a lot of truth about who you can be and what you can do. Whether you are young or old, big or small, you can change the world around you.'
- Elizabeth Bridgeman, age 9 - 'I love this book. Filled with excitement and sadness. My rating is 5 stars and provide this to 8+.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 9 - 'I really liked this book. I give it 5* and recommend it to 8+. It’s funny, exciting and emotional. It’s full of fun adventures that sometimes Adam finds hard.'
Just Call Me Spaghetti-Hoop Boy by Lara Williamson
Adam Butters is happy with his adoptive family but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t feel like a part of him is missing. Especially when he finds his birth certificate with his original name, Ace, on. He has two names, two identities – just like a Superhero!
And Adam is determined to be superhero. He’s going to save a life, help animals and old people, and make everyone happy. He thinks this will make his adoptive mum stop being so sad and his real mum want him again. But it’s not the easiest of superhero missions, and it takes a painful discovery for him to realise you don’t have to be super to be a hero.
All Lara’s books have something in common; they are about families. Lara says; “Mostly I explore themes that can affect families: loss of a loved one, rejection, disappointment, separation from a parent, illness but they’re balanced with other things that surround families like love, acceptance, connection with a parent, happiness and contentment.”
“This book totally blew me away. I love it. It's the best new voice I have read in ages.” - Cathy Cassidy on A Boy Called Hope
About the Author
More books by Lara Williamson
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st March 2017
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans