Written by Will Hill
Part of the Department 19 Series
Lovereading4kids Price £7.19
£8.99 saving £1.80 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
Selected by our Editorial Experts
A 'Debut of the Year 2011' selection.
This is a well crafted debut paranormal novel for teens but it's much more than that for it features a cleverly laid plot that revolves around a government secret agency who pull into the organisation a 14 year old Jamie whose mother has been kidnapped by some strange creatures. And yes, vampires do also come into it, most of them as baddies and involved in some quite gruesome parts to the plot but very necessary to keep the reader engaged. Much more action, suspense and, yes, gore than you'd expect from the typical paranormal/horror offerings at the current time and well worth a read.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Safiyah Afghan - 'Full of thrills, danger, action and romance Department 19 is an exciting book that will hold most readers captivated.' Read full review >
- Claudia Woolgar - 'If you love adventure, gore, computer games, vampires, love and big guns, this is the book for you!' Read full review >
- Hollie Compton - 'A book that I didn't want to put down. I love the characters within the story and their relationships between each other.' Read full review >
- Emily Setchell, age 13 - 'I really enjoyed this book and am definitely going to read the rest of the books in the series!' Read full review >
- Jack Graham - 'This book is an excellent read. I would read the next books or any others by Will Hill and recommend this to anyone 11+ because it has so many good techniques and a great storyline.' Read full review >
- Emer O'Brien, age 13 - 'It is really, really gory, and readers who don't enjoy detailed descriptions of dismembered body parts shouldn't go within a hundred yards of this book.' Read full review >
- Carla McGuigan, age 13 - 'You’ve heard of the novels: Dracula and the novel: Frankenstein. Well in this novel both are brought to life, together.' Read full review >
Department 19 by Will Hill
In a secret supernatural battle that's been raging for over a century, the stakes have just been raised and they're not wooden anymore. When Jamie Carpenter's mother is kidnapped by strange creatures, he finds himself dragged into Department 19, the government's most secret agency. Fortunately for Jamie, Department 19 can provide the tools he needs to find his mother, and to kill the vampires who want him dead. But unfortunately for everyone, something much older is stirring, something even Department 19 can't stand up against!
For more information on the series visit the website www.department19exists.com
'Teen' and 'Vampire' doesn't always mean 'sparkly'; this Young Adult thriller injects some blood and thunder back into the vamp mythos!a fast-paced and intelligently thought-out story. - SFX
'Bram Stoker can stop turning in his grave: his 21st-century legacy extends beyond Twilight.' -- The Telegraph
'Enough weaponry to satisfy the most warlike of pre-teen boys and enough action on every page to qualify for a health warning' -- Belfast News
'Injects some blood and thunder back into the vamp mythos!this is a lively set-up to what looks to be a fn and blood-soaked YA thrill ride' -- SFX Magazine
'Action-hungry lovers of horror and adventure will love it.' -- South Wales Argus
'Amazing and full of guts galore.' -- Bournemouth Daily Echo
About the Author
Interest Age: From 13
More books by Will Hill
HarperCollins Children's Books
1st September 2011
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley