Written by Sally Green
Part of the Half Bad Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize Best Fiction for Teens Award 2015 - Shortlisted for The Branford Boase Award 2015. Important questions are posed in this richly imagined and fast-paced supernatural thriller with big themes at its heart. Nathan lives in a world that is very similar to our own. But it has one very big difference: there is a record kept of all the witches that are alive. Everyone must be classified as White, Black or Fain/ Non-Witch. White and Black witches are divided into ferociously hostile factions with notorious skirmishes between the two. Only one thing unites the two sides: fear of a boy with an inheritance from both sides. That boy is Nathan…Nathan’s mixed parentage makes him impossible to classify and it makes him dangerous. Soon everyone is after Nathan. Is he a hero or an outcast? And can he survive? - One of our Books of the Year 2014 - One of the Lovereading4kids Readers' Choice Books of the Year 2014 - March 2014 Debut of the Month
This thrilling YA debut (rights now sold in 42 territories!) will do for witches what Twilight did for vampires… In fact, film rights have already been snapped up by the company that made the Cullens famous.
Kids love to read and a small number of members were lucky enough to be invited to review this title. Click here to read the full reviews.
- Emily Passmore, age 13 - 'From the first chapter, this book is totally enthralling and this continues throughout. Really, really, really good!'
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'It is a very good book about witches and a little bit of fighting, a little bit of love, and a little bit about the family.'
- Belinda Bekheit - 'Truly a tale for our times and an excellent page-turner. I would thoroughly recommend this for 12+ readers.'
- Lewis Duckworth, age 12 - 'a fantastic fantasy novel written by a talented writer...Personally I love this book.'
- Liam Pickering, age 11 - 'This book was written with deep feelings for the despairing black witch. I would definately reccomend it to anyone around my age especially people who have a big imagination.'
- Sean Keaveny, age 11 - 'Nathan, a witch half white, half black. Even among witches to survive you must be white or black. Nathan struggles to survive in a world where no one accepts him...This is such a fantastic read I can’t wait for the sequel!'
- Imogen Breaks, age 11 - 'An exciting novel about a young boy born into a family of different witches, with twists and turns on every page. Green makes you feel you are on Nathan's journey with him every step of the nailbiting way.'
- Adam Pattenden, age 12 - 'A gripping mix of sorcery, survival and teenage struggle.'
- Josh Hall, age 13 - 'Not really my style. Interesting in places but mainly difficult to read and slightly pointless at times.'
- Poppy, age 15 - 'I found it very gripping and difficult to put down, but thought that the ending left lots of loose ends that I thought needed to be tied up.'
Half Bad by Sally Green
You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch. You get sick if you stay indoors after dark. You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one. You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen. All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday. Easy.
Meet sixteen year old Nathan, on the run from the White witches who tortured him and the family that betrayed him. His only hope is to find his father, the most evil Black witch or he will lose his magic forever. This is a breathtaking debut novel about one boy's struggle for survival in a hidden society of witches. Set in a modern world inhabited by covert witches, Black and White: factions divided by hatred and united by only one thing – fear of a boy descended from both sides.
If you've tired of the Vampire World then you'll find new thrills in Half Bad.
HALF BAD is a parallel universe occupied by witches, where light and dark, good and evil are in continuous flux. It is a journey into adulthood, whereby Nathan must find himself, and his place in the world. A journey of discovery that will lay bare the best and the worst of humankind. www.halfbadworld.com
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Sally Green
Penguin Books Ltd
3rd March 2014
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15