The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star
Written by Jill Murphy
Part of the The Worst Witch Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Mildred, notoriously the worst witch at Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches, makes a wish on a shooting star - and to her great surprise it comes true! But it also spells trouble. Mildred's wish-come-true is a small dog but she has to keep him a secret from her friends, and especially the formidable Miss Hardbroom.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Evie Young, age 8 - 'Mildred makes a wish on a star but does it come true? I think everyone will like this book, especially troublemakers like Mildred because this book will prove that not all trouble monkeys are bad all of the time.' Read full review >
- Lucy Keaveny, age 8 - 'The start of the year for Mildred goes surprisingly smoothly but her luck does not last for long as a wish on a star doesn't bring the luck she expects.' Read full review >
- Ella Meredith, age 7 - 'A really entertaining read for children and adults alike. 5 stars!' Read full review >
- George Johnson, age 7 - 'I hadn't read any of The Worst Witch series before so wasn't sure what to expect. But I read the book in two nights because it was so good!' Read full review >
- Robyn Chorley, age 5 - 'I thought it was really good, I want to get more Worst Witch books for Mummy to read to me!' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'It's a really exciting book..It made me want to go to a school for witches and learn how to ride a broomstick.' Read full review >
- Hannah Minton, age 8 - 'I loved this story, it was full of adventure, friendship and fun.' Read full review >
- Rosie Anna Bullard, age 7 - 'This story is about Mildred Hubel and her two best friends Maud and Enid. Mildred is off to a great start, until she wishes on a wishing star and everything starts to go wrong.' Read full review >
- Sylvie Williams, age 8 - 'I think lots of people will like The Worst Witch and the Wishing Star, especially if they like dogs and witches! It doesn’t matter if you haven’t read the rest of the series.' Read full review >
- Adiella Norridge, age 10 - 'Short but good, entertaining and funny. Jill Murphy has done a great job of developing Mildred as a character.'
- Rohan Delamere, age 8 - 'This is about a girl who wishes on a shooting star and her wish comes true and she has an adventure!' Read full review >
- Matilda Greenacre, age 7 - 'I love the Worst Witch books, and really really enjoyed this one too! A must read!' Read full review >
- Jessica Banks, age 7 - 'A wonderful story which I really enjoyed. I really liked the pictures which helped to bring the story to life.' Read full review >
- Elspeth, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed reading this new adventure for Mildred Hubble, the Worst Witch. I have read all the other books in this series and still find Mildred’s escapades very funny.' Read full review >
- Poppy Carter, age 10 - 'The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star by Jill Murphy is an amazing book. This book is full of action and surprises and I really enjoyed reading it. It was a lot of fun.' Read full review >
- Lucy Bridges, age 8 - 'I think The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star by Jill Murphy was absolutely AMAZING!' Read full review >
- Eva Majury, age 10 - 'Mildred is the same likeable accident-prone character with lots of personality. There is lots to interest and keep the reader intrigued and I'm sure you will be entertained by Mildred's misadventures.' Read full review >
- Livi Faulkner, age 7 - 'I loved the Worst Witch and the Wishing Star...I especially liked it when everybody erupts cheering and clapping.' Read full review >
The Worst Witch and The Wishing Star by Jill Murphy
The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy is back in an exciting, very funny 7th adventure. In The Worst Witch and the Wishing Star, Mildred, notoriously the worst witch at Miss Cackle's Academy for Witches, makes a wish on a shooting star - and to her great surprise it comes true! But it also spells trouble. Mildred's wish-come-true is a small dog but she has to keep him a secret from her friends, and especially the formidable Miss Hardbroom. It's a disaster waiting to happen ...and it does...!
A hugely entertaining story with wonderful illustrations, too. -- Julia Eccleshare Lovereading4Kids
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Jill Murphy
Puffin Books an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
6th February 2014
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman