The Sword of Kuromori
Written by Jason Rohan
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2014 Debut of the Month Fans of Alex Rider will love the deadly adventure in which Kenny Blackwood finds himself. When Kenny sets out to visit his father in Japan, he has no idea of the excitement that is in store. The letter he is handed on the flight is mysterious enough especially when it turns out that he is the only person who can see the strange creature in the overhead locker. Once he has landed, things get very strange indeed and soon Kenny finds he is a boy with a terrifying mission to fulfil – in only 9 days!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alexander Bisland age 9 - 'This book is sooooooooooo good and despite it being long, I read it in three days! I give it 11/10.' Read full review >
- Jack Wilson, age 11 - 'A great book and gripping read.' Read full review >
- Liam Pickering, age 11 - 'Wow! I really enjoyed this book. It is a fantastic mix of fantasy and reality but so cleverly interwoven that the two begin to blur at times. I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next.' Read full review >
- Josh Hall, age 14 - 'An awesome load of fast paced action and adventure! I found it hard to put down from start to finish!' Read full review >
- Oliver Jefferys, age 10 - 'Altogether this book was creative, exciting and absolutely amazing. Read this book if you enjoy futuristic suspense.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'A thrilling adventure immersed in the culture and myths of Japan. I loved all of the amazing creatures and legends in the story. A fast paced, exciting read.' Read full review >
- Rohan Delamere, age 8 - 'This is an amazing adventure story about a boy who moves between modern and ancient Japan in his quest for the Sword of Heaven. I would recommend it for boys and girls 8-12yrs old.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'A great adventure suspense type book which I thoroughly enjoyed reading...I loved all the mystical creatures in this book; they sounded so cool and amazing.' Read full review >
- Callum Broomfield, age 10 - 'not really my cup of tea...the beginning is quite exciting but the story then becomes predictable and failed to hold my attention.' Read full review >
The Sword of Kuromori by Jason Rohan
Kenny Blackwood arrives in Tokyo to spend the summer with his father and is stunned to discover a destiny he had never dreamed of when he finds himself in the middle of a hidden war that is about to explode. Racing against an impossible deadline, Kenny must find the fabled Sword of Heaven and use it to prevent the disaster. But a host of terrifying monsters is out to destroy him, and success will come at a price. With clever, fearless, sarcastic Kiyomi at his side, Kenny must negotiate the worlds of modern and mythic Japan to find the lost sword, before it's too late.
'Present day Tokyo provides the setting for this furiously paced and entertaining adventure story. This debut author ups the thrill content by introducing a range of mythical Japanese monsters as our hero - ably supported by a motorbike-riding female sidekick - battles to stop a catastrophe, never sure of who he can trust.'
's Books, Summer 2014 'A brilliant novel for kids about to go to Japan!'
'If you're looking for a new book that will grab a 9+ reader and not let them go until the the final page then The Sword of Kuromori should be high up on your list.'
.com 'Really interesting depiction of Japanese monsters and culture combined with two superb central characters make this a brilliant start to an exciting new series!
'A thrilling adventure immersed in the culture and myths of Japan. I loved all of the amazing creatures and legends in the story. A fast paced, exciting read.'
'Young readers familiar with Rick Riordan and Julia Golding will have no problem with a world where the young hero discovers special powers and mythological beings impinge on everyday events. The action moves swiftly helped by plenty of dialogue. There are clever touches - Japanese numerals for the chapters, and the judicious use of Japanese words in the text emphasising the world that is Kenny's new home. A useful addition to this particular genre.'
'A tale of magic and mythology intertwined, and the fast pace leaves you feeling like you are dashing through a comic book rather than a chapter book. My teens really enjoyed reading it... interesting and intriguing and different to the other spy, mystery, adventure genre that they typically read.'
.org.za 'An awesome load of fast-paced action and adventure. I found it hard to put down from start to finish!
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Jason Rohan
Egmont Books Ltd an imprint of Egmont UK Ltd
8th May 2014
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East