Girl Out of Water
Written by Nat Luurtsema
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a nutshell: (the loneliness of the long distance swimmer) comedy – romance – synchronised swimming
Perfect for the summer holidays or as revision comfort reading, Girl Out of Water is a sparkling comedy, with a great central character. Lou is just about keeping her head above water: she’s lost her chance for Olympic swimming stardom after flunking the time trials and what’s worse, her best friend Hannah didn’t. Now Lou is on her own at school with a sinking feeling – all that training hasn’t left room for much else. So when a trio of the school’s fittest boys ask her to help them develop a synchronised swimming routine for a TV talent contest, of course she says yes. Lou has a brilliant line in self-deprecation and the dialogue glistens; and if the plot is far-fetched, who cares when it’s this much fun. ~ Andrea Reece
Teens & YA's love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our older Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Amelie Chatham, age 13 - 'This is a great book for fans of Holly Smale's Geek Girl books.'
- Holly Carver, age 13 - 'Girl Out of Water is a really funny book. I can completely connect to what she is feeling. It's a great story that took me through a World of emotions.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 12 - 'Possibly my favourite book ever! ‘Girl Out of Water’ is hilarious and impossible to put down! I am already re-reading it! Perfect!'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was a delightful story about new beginnings, friendships and dreams with plenty of laugh out loud moments and some love to hate mean girls.'
- Cesca Anderson - 'Girl Out Of Water is a hilarious, brutally honest and laugh out loud of a book that kept me in raptures throughout.'
- Humaira Kauser, age 18 - 'Hilariously funny and so hard to put down!'
- Ellen Faulkner, age 14 - 'Girl Out Of Water is a very good book...it just wasn't my cup of tea, however, I would recommend it to other readers.'
- Jodi Coffman, age 14 - 'It was light hearted and funny and it was so good that I read it in a day! I recommend this book to anyone looking for a unique, quick-read that is extremely funny.'
Girl Out of Water by Nat Luurtsema
A thoroughly British teen comedy starring a hilariously flawed heroine with a quip for every occasion - perfect for fans of Holly Smale, Holly Bourne, Caitlin Moran and Sophie Kinsella.
Lou Brown's life is going down the pan. Best friend Hannah sailed through the Olympic time trials and is off to her fancy-pants new swim training school, while Lou's own failure to qualify leaves her without a hobby - or a friend. As Lou tries to navigate her post-swim world, a chance encounter with three boys with stars in their eyes takes her life in a surprising new direction. One that leads to a crazy world of underwater somersaults, talent show auditions, bitchy girls and one great big load of awkward boy chat.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Nat Luurtsema
Walker Books Ltd
2nd June 2016
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11