My Brother's Secret
Written by Dan Smith
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2014 Book of the Month Growing up in Germany at the beginning of the Second World War, Karl Engel imagines the role he might play in fighting for his country. Joining the Hitler Youth movement will be his first step. But after his father is killed, Karl realises that the war is not so good or glorious as he had once thought. Gradually, and especially after his brother Stephan is in trouble, Karl begins to question the world he lives in. Rich in detail, this is a thought-provoking story.
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher, Chicken House
Brothers often fight – and feel that parents just don’t understand or take unfair sides. But when taking sides becomes a matter of life and death, then the brothers in Dan Smith’s war-time Germany have to make some tough decisions together. Based on real Second World War events, this brilliant story gives a feeling of what life was like when children were faced with real evil and conflict. Fighting for our freedom – who knows if it may be something we have to choose again one day!
The Good Book Guide Review. Twelve-year-old Karl is a member of the Deutches Jungvolk. His father has gone off to fight, and he wants Germany to win the war. But tragedy strikes and Karl realises some of the choices he made may not be right. Hitler is no longer his hero. He must protect himself and save his brother from Kriminal-inspektor Wolff. An exciting adventure story about bravery and independent thought.
~ Andrea Rayner
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Morgan Steigmann, age 15 - 'I would urge you to give this book a try- just wait until you discover you can’t put it down!' Read full review >
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'A brilliant book full of breath taking moments. I couldn't put it down!' Read full review >
- Stuart Philpot, age 10 - 'My Brothers Secret is a gripping novel that will make you want to stay up late and finish it. Ten out of ten...it was as though the book had sprouted arms and was never letting me put it down. ' Read full review >
- Ellen Faulkner, age 12 - 'My Brother's Secret was riveting, and I did not want to put it down, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.' Read full review >
- Rory Faulkner, age 9 - 'a mixture of exciting and at times scary and it really gripped me...I definitely recommend you read this book.' Read full review >
- Ellie Frost, adult - 'World War Two from another perspective. Karl is in the Junior Hitler Youth, but his older brother Stefan is a pacifist. Their father is killed at war, and things start to change. I loved this book.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson, age 11 - 'I loved this book and I learned a lot about how Germans thought during World War Two...They cared about their country and their friends and family.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'GREAT READ – you won’t be disappointed. I have read a Dan Smith book before and his detailed writing style continues into this book, this detail enables you to imagine that you are right at the side of Karl.' Read full review >
- Traviss Chaytors, age 11 - 'A gripping book full of adventure and sadness.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'The book is interesting as it tells you lots about the war from the view of Germans rather than the British...I really enjoyed reading this book although it was sad in places.' Read full review >
- Amie Coffman, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed this book and became fascinated by WWII. You learn that not all Germans behaved the same and I was surprised how I ended up feeling about the German boys. I highly recommend it!' Read full review >
My Brother's Secret by Dan Smith
Germany, 1941. 12-year-old Karl Engel is looking forward to joining the Hitler Youth, like all boys his age. But when his father is killed, his rebellious older brother Stefan shows him things that leave his faith in the Fuhrer shaken. What does it mean to be a good German? What does it mean to wear the mysterious flower sewn inside his brother's jacket? Who is the real enemy?
Dan Smith further explored the moral dilemma of war and the challenge that patriotism sometimes brings in his previous novel, My Friend the Enemy.
About the Author
More books by Dan Smith
Author's Facebook Latest
Chicken House Ltd
1st May 2014
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11