Written by Jeff Povey
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2014 Debut of the Month A fast-paced adventure set in a world from which adults have been strangely removed and a randomly thrown together group of misfit teenagers have to try to survive. There’s a giant flash as the teacher leaves the detention room. When the kids he leaves behind step out into the school corridor there is no-one to be seen. When they leave the school and head into town they discover they are alone. Where is everyone? And what should they do next? A gripping story of survival and self-reliance in which the kids survival depends on working together and in showing a kind of courage none of them had ever believed they possessed.
Teens love to read and in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Aimee Sweet, age 13 - 'This book is so good it blew me off my feet and I would be insanely proud if I was the author of it. With so many twists and turns, this book is best for its spellbinding words.' Read full review >
- Callum White, age 14 - 'This is a 10/10 novel and Jeff Povey has done an amazing job and I will want to read more of his books.' Read full review >
- Heidi Stokes, age 13 - 'Fun book aimed at young adults,about seven children having to save the world. Its filled with action,adventure and humour.' Read full review >
- George Oliver, age 15 - 'This normally isn't my sort of book. I didn't really know what to think of it until I read a few chapters. It is a pretty good book. The plot made sense and though, sometimes confusing, a nice read.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'FANTASTIC If you enjoyed the Charlie Higson series you will definitely enjoy this book. It is bloody and brutal and I enjoyed reading it from the very start.' Read full review >
- Sophia Ufton - 'This book was just brilliant, funniest book I've read in a long time. The twists and turns were just amazing! Couldn't put it down. Defiantly a Laugh Out Loud book.' Read full review >
- Ellie Frost - 'A group of teenagers kept at school for detention suddenly find they are alone. A flash of light, and everyone has disappeared. How do they survive? Are they really alone?' Read full review >
- Melanie Chadwick - 'Non-stop action, violent, great chases near misses and escapes, big fight scenes, lots of people die and some come back to life...It would make a fabulous film or TV series.' Read full review >
- Rosa Boran, age 14 - 'I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next one. It was so interesting and funny too. I loved all the characters and the plot was great.' Read full review >
Shift by Jeff Povey
Get ready for one apocalyptic detention. These misfits are going to save the world!
Meet Rev, Billie, the Ape, Johnson, GG, Carrie, the Moth and Lucas, a motley crew of bickering teens who find themselves totally alone in the world after a strange power surge hits their classroom during detention. With no answers as to why or how the rest of the world has disappeared, the mismatched group is soon facing a bigger nightmare than they could ever imagine… Standing between them and the only way home are lethal duplicate versions of themselves, super powered teenagers who will kill anyone who gets in their way. Our unlikely heroes must somehow work together to save themselves… or they'll never see home again.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Jeff Povey
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
24th April 2014
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family