Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
Written by Mac Barnett
Illustrated by Jon Klassen
Lovereading4kids Price £9.59
£11.99 saving £2.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 Award-winning illustrator Jon Klassen has created a second delightful and surprising picture book with Mac Barnett, author of The Dark. Here two boys dig a hole. It doesn’t seem to take them far so they try digging a bit on their own. They still make little progress. So they take a rest…What happens while they are asleep turns out to be most surprising of all! In simple illustrations, Sam and Dave Dig a Hole gives a host of opportunities for imagining and dreaming.
Kids love to read and share books from an early age and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of the younger members of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Tracey Parker and Tom, age 4 - 'Tom and I loved reading this book...It gave us lots to talk about while we read the book together. We had fun changing the names of the characters to Tom and his friends and our trusty dog was included too!' Read full review >
- Emma Johnson, age 4 - 'I liked reading this story because I could read it on my own. I kept thinking that they were going to find treasure and wanted to tell them where it was.' Read full review >
- James McNichol, age 4 - 'A slightly confusing read...Due to the small number of words on a page it is a good book for a young reader.' Read full review >
- Cassandra Butler, age 5 - 'Sam and Dave keep digging a hole, but I thought they were a bit silly to keep changing direction and missing the diamonds.' Read full review >
- Cassandra's Mum - 'Cassandra had no real issues reading this out loud on her own bar one or two tougher words, however I wasn't that impressed with the story, as I just didn't get the ending!' Read full review >
Sam and Dave Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett
Sam and Dave are on a mission. A mission to find something spectacular. So they dig a hole. And they keep digging. And they find...nothing. Yet the day turns out to be pretty spectacular after all. Attentive readers will be rewarded with a rare treasure in this witty story of looking for the extraordinary - and finding it in a manner you'd never expect. This is an all-new story from the award-winning team of Jon Klassen and Mac Barnett.
It offers a humorous look at the pleasures of outdoor play and its often surprising rewards. The interplay of text and art makes this a great read-aloud.
How did Jon and Mac come up with the idea for Sam and Dave Dig a Hole? Mac: Well we were having breakfast together in a diner in Los Angeles.
Jon: Hmmm I mean, they are based on our “ideas” of children in that they are short
Mac: I hope they will take away a copy of the story, bought and paid for with their own
Jon: Or whatever things of value they have managed to dig out of the ground.
Mac: Yes, the real value of this book is not in any message, but in the many gems you can obtain by digging holes in your very own yard.
Jon: “There are gems in the ground in your yard”
Mac: WE WILL MAKE YOU MILLIONAIRES, KIDS.
-diggers everywhere! Children's Books Ireland Recommended Read This utterly charming picture book is classy, looks beautiful and - if you look carefully - is very clever indeed Daily Post North Wales, Evening Gazette Teeside, Manchester Evening Chronicle, The Chronicle Newcastle A beautiful, easy-to-read picture book ... brilliant Carousel
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Mac Barnett
Walker Books Ltd
1st October 2014
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch