The Leaky Battery Sets Sail
Written by Gareth P. Jones
Part of the Adventures of the Steampunk Pirates Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
The Lovereading4Kids comment
The crew of the Leaky Battery are a rum bunch alright: steam-powered metal robots of different shapes and sizes. Originally designed to be servants, they choose piracy as a new career, as it offers adventure, the chance to see the world, and freedom. First Mate Mainspring feels he’d be a better leader than Captain Clockheart, who is a bit unpredictable on account of a loose valve sending too much steam to his head, and a fair amount of squabbling goes on but on the whole they are successful buccaneers. This brings them up against the cruel and snobby Iron Duke who is determined to send them for scrap. The steampunk twist gives this fun piratical adventure an original touch, and the metal pirates themselves are refreshingly moral free. There are great illustrations of the pirate crew too to add to the enjoyment. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'Metal Pirates, the high seas, more pirates, looting gold and battles against bad pirates!..Brilliant book and I can't wait for the next book in the series.'
- Noah Hall, age 9 - 'The Steampunk Pirates is a funny adventure story. The characters are fabulous and I really like the illustrations...I would recommend this book to kids who like funny action stories.'
- Cameron Lobban, age 10 - 'Robots and pirates together what is not to love! Prepare for an epic journey...Reading this you feel all the emotions, sad, happy and excited.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'This book is lots of fun and I would read more if there was a series. I liked the characters and jokes and it was a cool adventure.'
- Darcey McIlroy, age 7 - 'A really great adventure about some very sneaky pirates- I couldn't stop reading it until I found out what happened to them. I loved it loads.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'A book full of steam powered adventure and daring thrills on the high seas!...I can’t wait to read the next one!'
- Jemima Foyster, age 6 - 'I loved this book. It is one of my favourite books because the Steampunk Pirates are really funny.'
- Barnaby Foyster, age 9 - 'I really like this book because it is like a roller-coaster...I would recommend it to everyone in my class.'
- Toby, age 5 - 'I read this book with my Mummy. It was a good book. I think even more people should read the book.'
- Billy Carlton, age 9 - 'I enjoyed this book because it was funny and exciting. At first I didn't understand the changes in person and by reading it more I understood it.'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 7 - 'This book is really, really, really good. My favorite character was Goldman. I can’t wait for the next one to come out.'
Win a SIGNED set of Treehouse books!
The Treehouse books are hugely popular and deservedly so. Created by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton, the books are full of imagination and incredibly funny. It started with The 13-Storey Treehouse and now there are 6 in the series, including 78-Storey Treehouse published in January.
If you haven't read them yet try your luck in our prize giveaway! We are giving away FIVE sets of the first FOUR books in the series, all SIGNED!
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 2 March 2017. The winners will be notified by 16 March 2017.
The Leaky Battery Sets Sail by Gareth P. Jones
Wanted: Dead or Alive! (Or smashed into little bits and delivered in boxes.) Causing chaos wherever they sail, the robotic Steampunk Pirates are roaming the high seas, hunting for gold! But the evil Iron Duke has other ideas...He's determined to capture the pirates in return for a handsome reward from the King. Can the mechanical marauders stay one wave ahead of their enemy?
This hilarious new series from Gareth P. Jones, author of Ninja Meerkats, is sure to delight young readers with its madcap humour and larger-than-life robot pirate crew.
Full of zany humour, piratical puns and oceanic action, this will have readers giggling from start to finish as they revel in the adventures of these mechanical marvels. Parents in Touch
Every joke hits home in this gloriously daft new book from the author of the Ninja Meerkats series. James Lovegrove, Financial Times
Another winning mash-up of favourite things from Gareth P Jones ... Utterly daft but really funny The Telegraph
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
Gareth P. Jones
More books by Gareth P. Jones
Stripes Publishing an imprint of Little Tiger Press Group
2nd February 2015
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk