My Heart and Other Black Holes
Written by Jasmine Warga
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Provocative, insightful and stimulating, this is a surprisingly simple yet captivating story featuring a deep and harrowing subject that is often avoided. It initially feels as though a story about suicide shouldn't work, yet it emphatically does and on so many different levels. Aysel and Roman are authentically real, you feel their connection, their fear, their seclusion; they could easily be your children, or your siblings, or friends. The author skilfully introduces the suicide pact and it prowls in the background as you grow to love Ansel’s sharp wit and Roman’s kindness. Leading you on a path towards the unknown, this is thought provoking, sharp yet subtle and a strangely beautiful read.
A message from the author...'As I state in the Author’s Note in the back of My Heart and Other Black Holes, I began to write the book in January 2013, a few days after the death of one of my very closest friends. I found myself in a place of deep grief and working almost compulsively on the manuscript was one of the ways in which I dealt with those feelings. Click here to read more.
In addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Linda Hill - 'highly skilful and a book that touches the reader's emotions on many levels. I can't recommend it highly enough, it’s a young adult book that is relevant to readers of any age.' Read full review >
- Sally Doel - 'This is an amazing book - a heart-breaking book, but also a book that uplifts at the same time...I'm not one to cry easily, but this book
had me sobbing in places.' Read full review >
- Jade Craddock - 'This is a first love, coming of age, teen angst story unlike any other...a poignant, memorable and brave novel with a climactic ending.' Read full review >
- Roberta Killip - 'A serious and sensitive, yet hopeful portrayal of teen depression, beautifully written. Deep, moving and romantic all at once...A good book to read as a group and discuss. Very interesting.' Read full review >
- Phylippa Smithson - 'How on earth to summarise in just a few words the wonder of this book. A deeply profound and troubling reflection on how two young people unite to escape their troubled lives. Absolutely brilliant.' Read full review >
- Alex Hetherington - '...to ask the big questions and do so with such amazing characters on a journey is a testament to the author and what can come of all the black holes and hearts in this world.' Read full review >
- Emma Halford - 'An unusual, moving story with no easy answers. I loved the subtlety of Warga’s writing and the contrast between how Aysel thought others perceived her and how they really thought.' Read full review >
- Stacie - 'If you think this is just your average teenage suicide story then think again. Jasmine Warga's compelling debut novel is guaranteed to have you laughing, close to tears and feeling glorious.' Read full review >
- Bethany Dimmock - 'I loved this book; once I’d started reading, I couldn’t stop...This is an outstanding debut novel. Warga has an exceptional talent
for raw and real storytelling, and I hope there is more to come.' Read full review >
- Eloise Glynn - 'I can't quite put into words how much I loved this book. You wouldn't expect a book about teenage suicide to be so uplifting and hopeful, but it is, just as much as it is heart-breaking. A must read.' Read full review >
- Victoria Halliday - 'Enjoyable young adult novel about teenagers dealing with grief...With this subject matter, this had the potential to be a hard
read. It was, however, a pleasure. Looking forward to reading this author's future work.' Read full review >
- Seeta Maharaj - 'a heart-felt love story between two young adults...It is an amazing work because it highlights the emotional intensity that young
people go through during their ‘rites of passage’.' Read full review >
- Suzanne Beney - 'The theme of depression and suicide is not one that you'd automatically think of as being upbeat and enthralling, but this book was just that.' Read full review >
- Debbie - 'Pure emotion. A heart wrenching, tear jerking, rollercoaster of emotion that had me gripping the pages and wanting more.' Read full review >
My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga
I'm getting higher and higher and I feel the swing set creak. 'Be careful,' he says. 'Why?' I'm not thinking about being careful. I'm thinking about one last push, of letting go, of flying, and of falling. 'You aren't allowed to die without me,' he whispers.
Aysel and Roman are practically strangers, but they've been drawn into an unthinkable partnership. In a month's time, they plan to commit suicide - together. Aysel knows why she wants to die: being the daughter of a murderer doesn't equal normal, well-adjusted teenager. But she can't figure out why handsome, popular Roman wants to end it all...and why he's even more determined than she is. With the deadline getting closer, something starts to grow between Aysel and Roman - a feeling she never thought she would experience. It seems there might be something to live for, after all - but is Aysel in so deep she can't turn back?
'A striking new voice in YA fiction' Nova Ren Suma, author of Imaginary Girls
'Kinetic and beautiful and unexpectedly life-affirming' Chris Lynch, author of Inexcusable
'Earnest and heartfelt ... any teen who's ever felt like an outsider will be able to relate to Aysel's and Roman's fully realized characters' Kirkus Reviews
'A stunning and haunting depiction of depression - you really feel Aysel's numbness. I had to take 'emotional recovery' breaks while reading it. My Heart And Other Black Holes handles the sensitive topic of suicide expertly, with absolutely no patronizing or glamorization. And yet, the book leaves you with such a warm feeling of hope. It 's a remarkable achievement' Holly Bourne, author of Soulmates
'Powerful...sucked me right in' The Book Bag
'This book proved hard to put down - both characters had my heart aching for them' Book Club Forum
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Jasmine Warga
Author's Facebook Latest
Hodder Paperback an imprint of Hodder & Stoughton General Division
12th February 2015
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch