Written by Andrew Lane
Part of the Young Sherlock Holmes Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
This is your chance to play a crime solving sleuth alongside one of the greatest fictional detectives of all time, because the clues are there, ready for you to unravel them. Even if you haven't come across Young Sherlock before, this works really well as a standalone novel despite it, technically, being the 7th in the series.
Enter Oxford and a fascinating world of body part snatchers, houses that move position overnight and a particularly vicious weapon wielding monkey. If that tickles your taste buds then dive in, once you start reading you won’t want to stop. Sherlock is at his best with an accomplice alongside and Matty is particularly adept at the more crooked side of life. The author allows you to work alongside the Young Sherlock, to observe as he learns his craft, to meet the intriguing people who shape his life. This is a hugely enjoyable cracker of a read. ~ Liz Robinson
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in this series, Death Cloud. You can read their reviews below.
- Louis Desforges, age 13 - 'Interesting and exciting read which is a great introduction to the Young Sherlock Holmes series. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy action and adventure stories.' Read full review
- Liam, age 12 - 'This book was very well written by a very good author who I was interested in. When I had finished reading it, I instantly needed to read the next book in the series.' Read full review
- James Harrison, age 11 - 'I really hope a whole lot more of Young Sherlock books come out, so, all-in-all I say: 'Go Young Sherlock'!' Read full review >
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'A great all round adventure book, with lots of action. Will keep any young reader full entertained.' Read full review >
- Daisy Grundy, yr 7 - 'The book was set with mysteries which would all come together at an exciting climax which the ideas and questions would click together.' Read full review >
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'This is a clever book that is full of suspense...His fearless journey is full of action and does not fail to amaze me in a way that only the incredible creation that is Sherlock Holmes can.' Read full review >
- Mukunth Kowsik, age 12 - 'This book is so good that you simply will not put it down. It is Sherlock Holmes made more easier to understand and to be enjoyed by teenagers.' Read full review >
- Elenie Williams, age 11 - 'Young Sherlock; Death Cloud is a gripping adventure story that is so tense it will make you not want to put it down. Why wouldn't you pick it up?' Read full review >
- Jenny Bridgeman, age 9 - 'Cracking thriller that re-introduces a classic character to a modern day audience!' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Suspense, mystery, criminals, detectives- this book is packed full of such excitement. Set in an English town, Young Sherlock looks set to be an exciting series, I can't wait to read the next book!' Read full review >
- Jemma Rubens, age 10 - 'This book is the first in a six part series about young Sherlock Holmes. He is accompanied throughout by his tutor, his urchin friend and the tutor's daughter.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'a thrilling mystery, perfect for anyone who likes solving crimes...A great introduction to the worlds most famous detective.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Stone Cold by Andrew Lane
The world's most famous detective. The most brilliant mind in fiction. But before he became the great detective, who was young Sherlock Holmes? The seventh book in a series of mystery adventures featuring a teenage Sherlock and endorsed by the Conan Doyle Estate.
Following his last thrilling adventure Sherlock Holmes has been sent to live in Oxford to focus on his education. But something strange is happening in the university pathology labs. Body parts are being stolen from corpses and are being posted one by one to an address in London. What can these sinister goings-on mean, and what message is someone trying to send? In an attempt to find out, Sherlock follows the trail to a very sinister house deep in the countryside. Can he get to the bottom of another baffling mystery? Sherlock Holmes: think you know him? Think again.
Click here to visit the official Young Sherlock website.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Andrew Lane
Author's Facebook Latest
Macmillan an imprint of Pan Macmillan
26th February 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12