The Bell Between Worlds
Written by Ian Johnstone
Part of the The Mirror Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Debut-author Ian Johnstone offers his readers an enormous and richly created world to explore in this elaborately constructed fantasy. Sylas Tate steps into the unusual Shop of Things and, through his remarkable powers of imagination and his ability to do magic, he is swept off on an adventure into another world known simply as Other. But Other is not any arbitrary creation. Sylas soon finds that it is only in Other that he will be able to find the part of himself that is missing and become whole.
Nick Lake, Fiction Publishing Director at HarperCollins Children’s Books, says: “The Bell Between Worlds is quite simply the best 10+ fantasy I have read in a decade, combining beautiful, pitch-perfect writing with heart and humour – all the more remarkable as it’s a debut. I cannot wait for other book-lovers to discover its wonderful, immersive magic for themselves.”
We think The Bell Between Worlds is a perfect choice for Reading Groups & there is a useful pack which you can download (see right) with suggested questions and discussion points.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Darcy Gray, age 10 - 'This book takes you on a magical journey full of friendship, betrayal and mystery...I couldn’t put it down.'
- Lucy Minton, age 9 - 'The Mirror Chronicles: The Bell Between Worlds is an exciting thriller which will have you on the edge of your seat.'
- Sam Harper, age 9 - ‘The Bell Between Worlds is a magical adventure and you won't want it to end. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next in the series.'
- Niki Keep, age 11 - 'One day on an errand for his slaving uncle Sylas saw someone lurking in the old shop that was always empty... a voice enticed him in and his strange but wonderful journey began.'
- Ewan Young, age 10 - 'I literally could not put this book down, it was EPIC! Full of magic and adventure.'
- Jack Graham - 'Overall this book is an excellent read. I would read any other books by Ian Johnstone as well as the rest of the series and recommend this to anyone 11+'
- Emma Baird, age 10 - 'This is a spellbinding book, I really like it because there are so many things going on at once and that makes it such an exciting book.'
- Jeanette S, age 9 - 'I enjoyed this gripping page turner because of its magical creatures and objects. Both boys and girls would enjoy this book.'
- Shannon Slipper - 'I love this book because you get gripped into Sylas' adventure. I couldn't put it down.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'This is a gripping fantasy adventure, with some truly excellent world building...I eagerly await the next instalment of Sylas’ adventures.'
- Abigail Blackwell, ge 11 - 'A very good plot and excellent character development and it still has a lot of mystery unfolding. If you like looking up words, you find out lots of new ones!'
- Ellie Frost - 'Sylas is drawn on a quest for his mother by the chimes of a great bell into a city that isn't his, but exists in the same space. This story is so vivid that I really felt I was there and part of the action.'
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
The Bell Between Worlds by Ian Johnstone
A glorious epic fantasy in the grand tradition of CS Lewis and Philip Pullman. The Mirror Chronicles will take you into another world, and on the adventure of your lifetime...Half of your soul is missing. The lost part is in the mirror. And unless Sylas Tate can save you, you will never be whole again. Sylas Tate leads a lonely existence since his mother died. But then the tolling of a giant bell draws him into another world known as the Other, where he discovers not only that he has an inborn talent for the nature-influenced magic of the Fourth Way, but also that his mother might just have come from this strange parallel place. Meanwhile, evil forces are stirring, and an astounding revelation awaits Sylas as to the true nature of the Other. As violence looms and the stakes get ever higher, Sylas must seek out a girl called Naeo who might just be the other half of his soul - otherwise the entire universe may fall...
I became totally immersed in an amazing world of painted words ... breathtaking and an absolute joy to read... A book that you will reflect on for the rest of your life. Just like when you first read the Hobbit or Sabriel or took your first stroll along the story path of Terry Pratchett... Fantastically exciting... Quite simply... Possibly the best book that I have read - or will read - this year. Mr Ripley's Enchanted Books
Dramatic and with perils that are both real and colourfully described. Highly recommended. The Bookbag
Not since Harry Potter have I devoured a fantasy world as much as this. Just from this, his debut novel, I can tell Ian Johnstone will sit high up on the fantasy author list at some point soon, I'm certain of it. Readaraptor Outstanding ... Epic stuff. This is certainly the best 'classic fantasy I have come across so far from the last 14 years... Could well prove to be one of the greats of any period. Magic Fiction Since Potter
A beautifully written book, featuring a vividly imagined alternative world... Jaw-dropping. Through the Gateway
Johnstone effortlessly conjures up elaborate worlds rich in both magic and fantasy. The Mirror Chronicles has an enchanting quality that is capable of standing shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Chronicles of Narnia and His Dark Materials ... The narrative flows with ease and the story maintains excitement right to the end. This highly-charged adventure is a delightful page-turner for both children and adults alike. Bookseller (We Love This Book)
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Ian Johnstone
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
1st January 2015
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley