A Cage of Roots
Written by Matt Griffin
Part of the The Ayla Trilogy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
March 2015 Debut of the Month An astonishingly different and chillingly striking tale that envelops the pages in a cloak of darkness and mystery. The author hurls the reader straight into the middle of the story, waiting before making introductions and explaining friendships, which effectively ensures you feel Ayla’s shock at the unknown world she finds herself in. The friendship and bravery of the children on their quest holds a torch of light to the fear, the author leaves you on the brink of doubt as you literally will the light to stay true and strong. The scarily real illustrations reach out as pages are turned, knowing that they come directly from the authors mind, as he is the illustrator, connects them even more strongly to the story. This has the feeling of a modern fairy tale about it, full of the scarily weird and vibrantly wonderful, as you turn the last page you are left standing on the edge of wanting more! ~ Liz Robinson
A Piece of Passion from the editor Susan Houlden Every once in a while a first chapter lands on your desk that is simply compelling. Matt Griffin’s A Cage of Roots opens with orphan Ayla discovering herself trapped deep beneath the ground, in total darkness, with no idea of how she came to be there. We are instantly drawn into this epic fantasy adventure, and soon we meet Ayla’s mysterious giant uncles and her closest friends, Sean, Finny and Benvy, who set out together to rescue Ayla.
What follows is a magical blend of this world and an ancient past. Old Irish figures rise up as the magic that lies beneath our feet and in our landscape stirs into life. Ayla and her friends face pure evil in a life-and-death quest. Matt creates some truly demonic and terrifying creatures, and he plays on our fears and hopes as he spins his tale of deep, dark secrets, awakening powers, betrayal, tests of true character and friendship, and ultimate destinies.
As a graphic illustrator, Matt has added rich atmospheric images to each chapter. His storytelling style is fast-paced, hugely imaginative and, at times, humourous. A book to read well beyond midnight.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Gabriel Phelan, age 11 - 'a very gripping, exciting and magical novel. It is very intriguing and a real page-turner.'
- Henry Smith, age 10 - 'An exciting and thrilling book that will keep you gripped until the last page!'
- Martin, age 10 - 'Very atmospheric, dark and spooky. The opening chapter gripped me and then the later ones scared me - don't read it alone and in the dark!'
- Sylvie Williams, age 9 - 'If you like stories to be dark, slightly scary and include legends and magic, you will love this book!'
- Amie Coffman, age 11 - 'The story was very exciting and I was eager to read to the end to find out Ayla’s fate. The story was original and the illustrations fantastic!'
- Shannon McCloskey - 'I loved this story, I had not read this author before but I will look out for more from him.'
- Tom White, age 11 - 'Scary, Creepy, Amazing!'
- Sue Wilsher - 'Full of mystery and magic, ‘A Cage of Roots’ is a story rich in Irish folk law and legend...A book for older children, particularly those who enjoy a thrill of fear!'
- Eleanor Cookdale, age 10 - 'It was a satisfying ending but open ended and I hope there will be another book to tell you what happened.'
- Fiona Sutherland, age 11 - 'This book was really tense but some the Irish names threw me a little bit. At the end I really wanted to find out what would happen next.'
A Cage of Roots by Matt Griffin
Magic exists beneath our feet, if we only know where to look...
Growing up in a New York orphanage, Ayla has no idea who her family is. It is not until she comes to Ireland that she finds out just how deep her roots really are. Then her past rises up to haunt her and seeks to destroy her as Ayla is abducted and buried alive in the bowels of the earth. Above ground, her three best friends set out to find and save her from a fate that has been lying in wait for centuries. Guided by Ayla's uncles, they must make a treacherous journey that takes them down among the very roots of time.
‘captivating … if you are going to get lost in a book, this is a fine choice ... the author’s atmospheric illustrations must be mentioned, which add immensely to the potent mysticism. All in all, this is an excellent midnight read’ Inis Magazine
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Matt Griffin
Author's Facebook Latest
O'Brien Press Ltd
2nd March 2015
O'Brien Press Ltd is an imprint of O'Brien
The O'Brien Press is Ireland's leading general publisher of both adult and children's books. Our list covers a huge range, including biography, humour, photography, history, art, fiction, politics, cookery, sport, music, memoir, true crime and travel and we are constantly expanding into new and exciting areas.
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11