Not as We Know it
Written by Tom Avery
Illustrated by Kate Grove
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Twins Ned and Jamie spend their spare time – when Ned is well enough – searching the shorelines of the beaches near their home for washed up treasures. That’s where they find the strange, otherworldly creature that Jamie hopes has come to cure Ned. Ned understands that Leonard, as they call the creature, is indeed there to save him, just not in the way his brother hopes. The story is punctuated with tales of seafaring and merman, told by the boys’ granddad, together with descriptions of their favourite Star Trek episodes, both giving the story extra resonance. It’s beautifully told and beautifully illustrated too, a tender, touching account of a family facing the death of a child. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Charlotte Cassidy, age 9 - 'This book was a sentimental page-turner of a book. I loved every second of it and couldn't put it down once I had started it.'
- Sarah-Jane Ryan - 'Powerfully written and beautifully illustrated, this story explores twins Ned and Jamie’s reactions to their last adventure....The book is beautifully illustrated by Kate Groves.'
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'I think this book is well worth reading but if you don't like sad books it isn't for you. Having said that, I did enjoy reading it.'
- Evie Hollingshead, age 10 - 'An easy to read book full of sadness, mystery and fantasy that I found enjoyable.'
- Amisha McCrystal - 'This is a special and sad tale that will touch your heart forever.'
- Orlaith Carson, age 14 - 'I would tell people to read this book because it shows how close people can get and how they mean a lot to each other.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'An amazing, heart-wrenching tale that had me on the edge of my seat. I didn’t want it to end.'
- Rachel Galbraith, age 10 - 'A sad but great novel that will make your emotions stir.'
- Fiona Sutherland, age 11 - 'This was a great book but the language was a little bit hard to understand. I would say this is a must read for all the Star Trek fans out there.'
Not as We Know it by Tom Avery
Jamie and Ned are twins. They do everything together: riding their bikes, beachcombing outside their house, watching their favourite episodes of Star Trek. But Ned is sick, and one day, he may leave Jamie behind. When they discover a strange creature on the beach, Ned wants one more adventure and decides to keep him secretly in their garage. But Jamie begins to hope that the creature might bring some miracle, and stop his brother from going where he can no longer follow...
From the same author-illustrator team who created the Carnegie-nominated My Brother’s Shadow.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Tom Avery
Andersen Press Ltd
5th March 2015
Andersen Press Ltd is an imprint of Andersen Press
Andersen Press is one of the leading independent children’s publishers, publishing some of the biggest names in the world of children's books including the much-loved picture book characters the Little Princess and Elmer the patchwork elephant. Andersen Press is the home of many award-winning authors and illustrators including Melvin Burgess, Rebecca Stead, Satoshi Kitamura, Tony Ross, David McKee, Chris Judge and Jeanne Willis. Founded in 1976 by Klaus Flugge it won the Bologna Best Children’s Publisher prize in the European Category in 2016, the company’s 40th anniversary year.
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10