The Haunting of Sunshine Girl
Written by Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Part of the Sunshine Girl Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2015 Debut of the Month Sunshine has just turned sixteen when she and her mum leave Texas for a new home in rainy Washington. They’ve not even been there one night before something creepy makes its presence felt, to Paige at least. We the reader are already privy to some clues about the haunting, and that there’s a supernatural mystery to Paige too. What follows is a hugely enjoyable ghost story that is properly spooky and suspenseful, but also jolly good fun. As things continue to bump in the night and icy breezes rage, Paige’s relationship with cute art student Nolan adds a touch of romance and warms things up nicely. Creeptastic! ~ Andrea Reece
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Phoebe Doherty-Ozobiane, age 13 - 'Spookily creepy; unlike any other horror I've read. I was scared for my life, the heart-stopping suspense had me looking over my shoulder every five seconds. Classic ghost tale with a deadly twist.'
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'I love the magical, heart stopping, twisting storyline that pulls you further and further into Sunshine's world with every turn of a page.'
- Katherine Sheldon, age 13 - 'This story builds tension and keeps you reading until the end, I read it all in one sitting.'
- Natalie Hunter, age 13 - 'a brilliant book. It's full of twists and the plot is exciting. It is quite a creepy story but has a happy ending.'
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Such a suspenseful novel...I absolutely loved the ending.'
- Izzy Read, age 13 - 'The Haunting of Sunshine Girl was a clever, classic ghost story with likeable characters that I got really attached to.'
- Georgina Bellingham - 'I think this is a brilliant book and if you like books that get you scared then this book is for you.'
- Edel Waugh - 'This book was really creepy throughout but had moments of real sadness and chills up the spine. I recommend this for dark stormy nights when the lights go out.'
- Khadijah Ahmed - 'There's enough spooks and ghostliness to satisfy paranormal-obsessed minds, including some brilliant moments that actually gave me the creeps.'
- Farah Alam - 'Overall, I just didn't like the story line as it wasn't that interesting. Sunshine as character wasn't engaging enough for me.'
- Cailin McGhee, age 12 - 'This book will keep you awake for many nights ahead; you will be equally frightened and gripped! truthfully one of the best books I have ever read.'
- Amelie Chatham, age 12 - 'The Haunting of Sunshine girl is a must read for anyone who likes fantasy mixed with horror.'
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
In that place where you're more asleep than awake any more, I hear something else. A phrase uttered in a child's voice, no more than a whisper: Night Night.
Something freaky's going on with Sunshine's new house ...there's the chill that wraps itself around her bones, the giggling she can hear in the dead of night, and then the strange shadows that lurk in her photographs. But the more weird stuff that happens, the less her mum believes her. Sunshine's always had a quirky affiliation with the past, but this time, history is getting much too close for comfort ...If there is something, or someone, haunting her house, what do they want? And what will they do if Sunshine can't help them? As things become more frightening and dangerous, and the giggles she hears turn to sobs and screams, Sunshine has no choice but to accept what she is, face the test before her and save her mother from a fate worse than death.
The first in a frighteningly good new series based on the popular YouTube sensation The Haunting of Sunshine Girl Network, created by Paige McKenzie.
'The Haunting of Sunshine Girl starts with mysterious ghostly laughter late one night. The laughter quickly turns to horror. It seems Sunshine Griffith has moved into a house haunted by many evil spirits. Trust me - these spirits will haunt YOU, too. I was on the edge of my seat from the very first page.' -- R.L. Stine, author of Goosebumps
'Enthralling! Shivers of anticipation creep up and terrifying, ancient revelations come thick and fast. Sunshine Girl is a winner for fans of teen horror!' -- Anya Allyn, author of The Dark Carousel series
'Things that go bump in the night are afraid to read this book. Things that lurk beneath the bed cry for their mothers by page ten. McKenzie's skill telling the story of a young girl who inadvertently moves into a haunted house with her clueless mother is a thing that slips up behind and puts a cold white hand right down your spine and just won't let go. The book is called The Haunting of Sunshine Girl. Read it if you dare, but don't say I didn't warn you.' -- Wes Craven, Director of Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
More books by Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
26th March 2015
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7