Written by Anne-Marie Conway
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
April 2015 Book of the Month Poor Maddie, her much-loved Nan dies suddenly of a stroke when the two are out together, and it hits her very hard. It’s not the first time Maddie has had to cope with sadness – her little brother was born prematurely and still needs regular check-ups. Then her dad starts behaving strangely, is there something he doesn’t want his family to know? Maddie knows all about keeping secrets – she doesn’t want best friend Gemma to find out that she’s going to nurture group, or about her special friendship with the school’s bad boy Kieran Black. Anne-Marie Conway skilfully weaves different personal and family stories together into a heart-warming novel. The emotions described are utterly soconvincing, and Maddie’s story will enthral young readers. ~ Andrea Reece
A Piece of Passion from the editor, Sarah Stewart Tangled Secrets is one of those very special books that reaches out and touches your heart. A beautiful story of grief, secrets, friendship and finding your voice, it has moved me to tears every single time I’ve read it! Maddie’s struggles with anxiety following the death of her beloved nan will resonate with every reader, as will her frustration and fear of the secrets that seem to be burning a hole in her family. Through all her wonderful characters, from Maddie’s irrepressible little brother Charlie to the spiky and mysterious Kieran, Anne-Marie shows us that friendship can be found in the most unexpected of places, and that the scariest things can often turn out to be the best.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'Tangled Secrets is a book that contains many emotions. But it was definitely an un-put-down-able one...I am going to recommend this book to all of my friends.'
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'A lot of twists and turns, I couldn't put it down, it made me want to read more and more...I loved this book, it deals with many difficult emotions in a sensitive way.'
- Caoimhe Kelly, age 12 - 'the most fantastic page turning book I have ever read...It made me cry a few times here and there. The only thing I really hated about the book was that IT HAD TO END!!!'
- Leah, age 10 - 'This was a heart-warming story of friendship, family, hidden secrets, the truth behind appearances and ultimately being brave. I loved it!'
- Lucy Pack, age 10 - 'Warning! This book is not for boys!...It is a mixture of comedy, mystery and sadness, also, on a scale of one to ten, I would definitely give Tangled Secrets a ten!'
- Simran Misir, age 9 - 'Reading this book was extremely exciting and I wish there was another book about Maddie and what she does next.
- Elle Cogan, age 12 - 'I loved this book, and thought the storyline was amazing. The book was almost impossible to put down, and the way the author wrote was full of emotion.'
- Ella Tanner, age 9 - 'I really enjoyed this book because there were lots of good description and you could imagine how it must have felt for Maddie and Kieran. There was always some action going on.'
- Lucie Harrison, age 11 - 'I could put myself in Maddie's shoes all the way through Tangled Secrets... I would recommend this book to anyone who has had to deal with loss or enjoys mystery books.'
- Amie Coffman, age 11 - 'The book kept my attention throughout as I was desperate to find out the truth behind the secrets!'
- Hannah Baer, age 11 - 'This book was good because the characters were interesting and they each had their own kind of background to them... Altogether, I would rate this book 8/10.'
- Eileanoir Gray, age 11 - 'Tangled Secrets is the best book I’ve ever read...I couldn’t leave this book down and it was just as if Anne-Marie Conway put a spell on me.'
- Isabel Kardos-Stowe, age 11 - 'I really liked this book because you got to know all the characters and their personalities really shone through. I also felt the emotions of the characters.'
- Dulcie Johnson, age 11 - 'This is a very involved, intense book. It felt like Maddy was struggling a lot to be herself and find her voice. The novelist is very good at setting the scene and making you root for the characters.'
- Cora Willans - 'This is an exciting book with happy and sad parts in it. I think girls would enjoy it more than boys because the main character is a girl.'
- Lola Frary - 'This book has everything in it. Sadness, friendship and an exciting mystery. What more could you want?'
Tangled Secrets by Anne-Marie Conway
Maddy can't find her voice. With her grief over Nan's death, her struggle for Mum's attention, and the mystery of the strange woman Dad keeps meeting, it's easier to keep everything locked up inside. But as terrible tangled secrets bring Maddie's whole world crashing down, it seems only bad boy Kieran Black can give her the confidence to speak up.
You might also like Anne-Marie’s first mystery novel, Butterfly Summer.
Praise for Butterfly Summer
'Suspenseful and intriguing' - Sophie McKenzie
'Secrets and mysteries abound in Anne-Marie conway's haunting novel, Butterfly Summer. Becky and her mother have moved to a small village for a fresh start but when Becky finds an old photo of her mother with a baby, taken 12 years before Becky herself was born, questions need to be answered. Like just why is her mother so afraid of water? Perhaps Becky's new friend Rosa May holds the answer' - The Sunday Express
'Conway drops clues deftly into the water with hardly a ripple - reread this gently nostalgic mystery and you will be astonished at what you missed the first time' - The Jewish Chronicle
'Like the sun glinting on a butterfly's wing, there's both light and darkness in Anne-Marie Conway's outstanding novel...[Butterfly Summer] gets to the heart of childhood dilemmas whilst unravelling mysteries from the past. A terrific read for youngsters aged nine and over' - Lancashire Evening Post
'This gentle but gripping book is a tale of friendship and the paranormal and is perfect for fans of Cathy Cassidy and Karen McCombie' - Booktrust
'What makes this one special is the brooding atmosphere of secrets waiting to be discovered, which builds like a gathering summer storm' - Books for Keeps
'This book does not try to lessen the impact of depression and loss, and weaves them into an incredibly moving and thrilling tale. The ending is both shocking and sad, and thoroughly satisfying. Highly recommended' - Carousel
'A gripping story for young teens' - Friends of the Earth
About the Author
Interest Age: 9+
More books by Anne-Marie Conway
Usborne Publishing Ltd
1st April 2015
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk