The Usborne Official Astronaut's Handbook
Written by Louie Stowell
Illustrated by Roger Simo
Part of the Handbooks Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - This book, with a Foreword by Tim Peake who in December 2015 became the first British astronaut to go to the International Space station, should go to the top of any must-have list for young children interested in space travel. It’s packed with fascinating information on everything from what to study to help you become an astronaut, to the special training astronauts undergo, rocket science and how shuttles get into space, and what it’s like to live on the International Space Station. Of course it explains how astronauts go to the loo, but the sections on what happens to human stomachs in space is just as icky and interesting! The information is very well presented, and despite the conversational tone there’s no talking down. After all, the children reading this book could become fully fledged astronauts in the 2030s. Inspiring stuff! ~ Andrea Reece
Tim Peake, European Space Agency astronaut and the first Brit to join the International Space Station this autumn, has written a Foreword to this fascinating book -
"This exciting guide will tell you a bit more about what it’s like to live and work in space... and why getting there and back is such a tough job... Good luck on your journey and maybe I’ll see you in space, one day… this guide is a really great place to start". Read the complete Foreword here. Tim was the first British astronaut to embark on a mission to the International Space Station - he went in December 2015 for a 6 month stint - and in addition the handbook is published in association with the UK Space Agency so rest assured what kids learn from it will be spot on.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review a sample pamphlet of this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Benjy Randall, age 11 - 'A really cool and fun book that lets you see into the life of an astronaut.'
- Max Shearer, age 10 - 'Reading this book was a whole mini space experience on its own!'
- Nathan Carey, age 10 - 'I think this book will make you excited about going into space.'
- Richard Nae, age 9 - 'If you ever wanted to go into space then this is the book for you.'
- Alicia Swiercicka, age 10 - 'This book made me feel like I really wanted to train to be an astronaut.'
- Rachel Zinkin, age 8 - 'I don't normally read non-fiction but after reading this I do. I really enjoyed it.'
- Holly Wilkins, age 11 - 'For wannabe astronauts or space enthusiasts or anyone wanting to know a little more about space.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'This sample handbook was epic! I have already got my Mum to order the full book. Highly recommend to any budding astronauts!'
- Elizabeth Bridgeman, age 8 - 'This book is amazing. It tells me all about spaceships and space. My fave page is working on the ISS because it is amazing. This is so cool I want the proper book.'
- Alexander Bisland, age 9 - 'I won’t be a good astronaut because I need to be comfy and can’t live in small spaces! I can’t wait for the official book to come out.'
- Daniel Bisland age 7 - 'I like the footnotes that give you little snippets of information which will be more detailed in the real book, e.g. how they pee and poo! Also, I like the colourful illustrations.'
- Dylan Sweet, age 11 - 'This sample was very informative..I learnt facts about astronauts, rockets, equipment in space, space food and jobs you can do other than astronauts...I can’t wait to read the complete book.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'We liked it because the book reads like it’s you that’s going into space and has lots of lovely pictures to help you imagine things as well as a load of facts we didn't know.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'I learnt loads and laughed lots with this book. A fun and informative read.'
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Usborne Official Astronaut's Handbook by Louie Stowell
Discover how you become an astronaut, the training you must undertake, how you travel into space and what you do when you're up there.
With a foreword from ESA astronaut Tim Peake, the first British astronaut to embark on a mission to the International Space Station. Published to coincide with Tim's ISS mission in November 2015, which is sure to inspire a whole generation of children, much as the moon landings did in the 1960s and '70s. This is a whole new era of space exploration and this book features the latest and most accurate information, as it is written in conjunction with experts from the UK Space Agency.
About the Author
Interest Age: 9+
More books by Louie Stowell
Usborne Publishing Ltd
6th January 2015
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16