Uncle Gobb and the Dread Shed
Written by Michael Rosen
Illustrated by Neal Layton
Lovereading4kids Price £7.99
£9.99 saving £2.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - June 2015 Book of the Month Malcom’s Uncle Gobb is really irritating, and not just because he keeps shouting ‘the boy needs to do more homework’. When Gobb Education starts taking over their school, and Uncle Gobb sets up the dread ‘Dread Shed’ in their playground, Malcolm and his best friend Crackersnacker decide they’ve got to get rid him. Children will love seeing Malcolm bamboozle and confuzle Uncle Gobb to a standstill with entirely logical but unanswerable questions and Neal Layton’s scratchy illustrations brilliantly match the riotous tone. Great fun for children, who will recognise the absurdities Malcolm faces daily, less enjoyable reading perhaps for any secretaries of state for education. ~ Andrea Reece
The Good Book Guide Review. Ten-year-old Malcolm’s Uncle Gobb shouts a lot and is always telling Malcolm to do his homework. Malcolm hopes to get rid of Uncle Gobb by bamboozling and confusing him. However, he and his best friend, Crackersnacker, have to escape from the Dread Shed and Dr Roop first. This is a madcap story full of bizarre episodes, preposterous adventures and clever jokes. (Ages 8–11)
~ Andrea Rayner
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Amisha McCrystal age 13 - 'Uncle Gobb and the Dread Shed is a brilliant novel. A Must Read!!!! I felt this story was talking to me rather than me reading it.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 9 - 'This book was hilarious. The illustrations are very funny. I think the author has a great sense of humour and I can't wait for book number two!'
- Gabriel Phelan, age 11 - 'Uncle Gobb And The Dread Shed is a funny, easy to read illustrated story.'
- Marli Jones, age 11 - 'I recommend this book to ages 7-11 girls and boys. If you are a fan of comical writing, killer answers, and dread sheds this is the book for you.'
- Evie Aconley, age 8 - 'If you like the sound of a Dread Shed, then this is the book for you!I really liked this book.'
- Toby, age 8 - 'This book was a very funny book, even the chapter titles were funny. Throughout the chapters Uncle Gobb, Malcolm or Crackersnacker shout random remarks e.g I've been to china.'
- Cuthbert Hill, age 10 - 'A great storyline and a unique, witty sense of humour.'
- Tom Napier, age 10 - 'It's not often that you read a book that uses all sorts of different parts of other stories and puts them into one, which is what drew me into it.'
- Rodrigo Davies, age 8 - 'I liked this book and thought it was entertaining.'
- Rory Faulkner, age 11 - 'I feel it would appeal more to younger children. Whilst I love Michael Rosen as a poet, I found the nonsensical writing hard to follow and a little strange.'
- Charlotte Rosevear, age 11 - 'When Malcom finds out the truth, Uncle Gobb puts him in the dread shed... will he make it out??? Read the book to find out.'
- Cora Willans, age 8 - 'Very funny.'
- Lucy Bridges, age 9 - 'It is a mind blowingly amazing book by Michael Rosen.'
- Beth - 'Beth liked the humour in this story and thought that several of the boys in her class would enjoy it'
- Isaac East, age 9 - 'This book is incredibly funny and made me laugh out loud. It is about 2 friends called Malcolm, Crackersnacker and an uncle called Gobb. Uncle Gobb is crazy about Malcolm doing homework.'
Uncle Gobb and the Dread Shed by Michael Rosen
Malcolm is in all ways an ordinary ten-year-old. This is a perfectly ordinary story featuring one perfectly ordinary ten year old, his very bossy uncle, some baked beans, a school which tries to make interesting things BORING, the famed Italian city of Ponky, and a genie who appears when you rub your nose. It also includes lots of very useful facts, many of which are untrue.
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Michael Rosen
Author's Facebook Latest
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
4th June 2015
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils