Thorfinn and the Awful Invasion
Written by David MacPhail
Illustrated by Richard Morgan
Part of the Young Kelpies: Thorfinn the Nicest Viking Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the Laugh-Out-Loud Book Awards 2016, 6-8 years Category - September 2015 Book of the Month Thorfinn is a charming boy, polite, tidy and he makes a lovely cup of tea. Unfortunately, he’s a Viking and this particular skill set doesn’t do anything to impress his family or neighbours – in the words of Erik Ear-Crusher, his dad’s arch rival for chief, ‘he has all the fighting spirit of a plate of boiled turnips’. But Thorfinn is smart as well as nice, and when he’s sent on a raiding mission proves that he more than deserves his place. Thorfinn’s politeness in the face of the Viking’s terrible behaviour provides lots of laughs and his eventual triumph is very satisfying for readers. Packed with illustrations and a whole host of extras too – games and activities – this is a very good addition to the canon of silly Viking stories for young readers. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Fennrin age 7 - 'Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant. Thorfinn the Nicest Viking is a really good book, it is funny and exciting.'
- Elliot Bateman - 'This book is for anybody Age 6 and over to read themselves and for younger children to have read to them at bedtimes. There are even games at the back of the book to help you learn about Vikings.'
- George Daniels, age 7 - 'A thrilling novel. The best I’ve read. My mum couldn’t believe I read it in one day.'
- Phoenix Williams, age 7 - 'I think this book is better for learners and children who like adventurous stories. If I could give it 1 to 5 stars I would give it 5 stars.'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Thorfinn really is the nicest Viking ever! He goes on an adventure but instead of raiding a village, he comes back with a basket full of scones with jam! Really great story with good humour.'
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 7 - 'A slight twist on your usual Viking story, kept me on my toes.'
- Harry Gray, age 7 - 'I really really enjoyed this book. Thorfinn the napkin folder is a hero and the book is hilarious. I also liked the extras at the end of the book.'
- James Henderson, age 9 - 'This is a great story if you like Vikings. I really want to read the next book.'
- Matthew Henderson, age 9 - 'I thought this was a really clever story, the characters were good and the story made me chuckle!'
- Georgie Chaplin - 'It's so good I could just ask for more!'
- Connor Lobban, age 7 - 'Great book for learning about Vikings!'
- Luke Killen, age 7 - 'A really funny book, I loved this!'
- Hermione Chaytors, age 6 - 'Funny, funny, funny...'
Thorfinn and the Awful Invasion by David MacPhail
Prepare yourself for the wrath of the Norsemen! That is, if you don't mind and it's not too inconvenient...Everyone knows Vikings are ruthless barbarians whose idea of a good time involves pillaging, plundering andfeasting. But Thorfinn is no ordinary Viking! He is always polite and happily offers to wash the dirty dishes. Too bad his dad is Harald the Skull-Splitter, Village Chief and the roughest and toughest Viking of them all. Tired of Thorfinn and his too-nice ways getting them into trouble, his dad decides it's time for Thorfinn to earn his gruesome Viking name. Stuck on a longboat with a ragtag bunch of adventurers who'd like to throw him overboard, how will the Nicest Viking cope with a dangerous voyage to Scotland?
Thorfinn the Nicest Viking is a funny, illustrated, action-packed new series for young readers who love Horrid Henry and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, set in a world where manners mean nothing and politeness is pointless!
'...delightful and truly funny brand new series.' --lovereading4kids 'A thrilling novel. The best I've read. My mum couldn't believe I read it in one day.' --George Daniels, age 7, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'I think this book is best for learners and children who like adventurous stories. If I could give it 1 to 5 stars I would give it 5 stars.' --Phoenix Williams, age 7, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'Thorfinn really is the nicest Viking ever! He goes on an adventure but instead of raiding a village, he comes back with a basket full of scones with jam! Really great story with good humour.' --Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'A slight twist on your usual Viking story, kept me on my toes.' --Oliver Lonsdale, age 7, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'I really really enjoyed this book. Thorfinn the napkin folder is a hero and the book is hilarious. I also liked the extras at the end of the book.' --Harry Gray, age 7, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'Great book for learning about Vikings!' --Connor Lobban, age 7, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'A really funny book, I loved this!' --Luke Killen, age 7, for lovereading4kids.co.uk 'Funny, funny, funny...'
.co.uk 'The story cracks along at a good pace accompanied by humorous black and white drawings. [...] This is a highly entertaining book celebrating difference that will delight newly confident readers.' --SLA (School Libray Association)
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by David MacPhail
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books
20th August 2015
Kelpies an imprint of Floris Books is an imprint of Kelpies
Floris Books celebrate quality children’s books with brilliant authors, engaging stories and a Scottish twist! They create books that capture children’s imaginations at all ages. Under 6s will have loads of fun with Picture Kelpies picture books, 9 to 12-year-olds will be whisked away by Kelpies and young teens will be gripped by KelpiesTeen novels.
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12