Written by A. F. Harrold
Illustrated by Emily Gravett
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Winner of the UKLA 2016 Book Award in the 7 - 11 year old category.
A richly visualised story which explores imaginary friends and the very special role they play in children’s lives. Amanda and her imaginary friend Rudger have the best of times playing together. While Amanda’s mother accepts the existence of Rudger she can’t actually see him. He is only visible to Amanda until the sinister Mr Bunting and the pale girl who travels with him turn up on the doorstep. Mr Bunting is searching out imaginaries with sinister intentions. When Amanda is hit by a car Rudger goes on the run and learns the rules of being an imaginary. Emily Gravett’s illustrations capture the hazy world of the imaginaries brilliantly. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'I love the idea of a world full of imaginaries who can only be seen by people with big imaginations. A very funny, quirky and exciting story with fantastic illustrations and a brilliant climax.' Read full review >
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'Cool, creepy, exciting and very different. I couldn't stop reading it.' Read full review >
- Lucas, age 9 - 'I just loved this book!' Read full review >
- Traviss Chaytors, age 11 - 'An unusual scary story but worth the read.' Read full review >
- William longlands, age 10 - '8/10 - a good book but not for me.' Read full review >
- Amelie Chatham, age 11 - 'If you have a vivid imagination this book is brilliant for you!' Read full review >
- Lucy Minton, age 10 - 'I would give this book full marks for a truly enjoyable read.' Read full review >
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12 – 'Wow,what a great book! A brilliant story unlike anything I have read before. I 'imagine' everyone(aged 9+) will enjoy this amazing adventure.'Read full review >
- Luke Bauer, age 11 - 'Who knows who you can find in the back of a wardrobe! This book was well presented with amazing illustrations which made the book come alive.' Read full review >
- Peace, age 9 - 'I enjoyed this book so much that I passed it on to my big sister, aged 11, who also loved it.' Read full review >
The Imaginary by A. F. Harrold
Rudger is Amanda's best friend. He doesn't exist, but nobody's perfect. Only Amanda can see her imaginary friend - until the sinister Mr Bunting arrives at Amanda's door. Mr Bunting hunts imaginaries. Rumour says that he eats them. And he's sniffed out Rudger. Soon Rudger is alone, and running for his imaginary life. But can a boy who isn't there survive without a friend to dream him up? A brilliantly funny, scary and moving read from the unique imagination of A.F. Harrold, this beautiful book is astoundingly illustrated with integrated art and colour spreads by the award-winning Emily Gravett.
'A richly visualised story which explores imaginary friends and the very special role they play in children's lives. Emily Gravett's illustrations capture the hazy world of the imaginaries brilliantly' Julia Eccleshare
'A.F. Harrold writes with a very distinctive, unusual and utterly charming voice in this warm and funny tale ... Fabulous' Jeremy Strong The Guardian
About the Author
A. F. Harrold
More books by A. F. Harrold
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
5th November 2015
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10