Head Over Heels
Written by Holly Smale
Part of the Geek Girl Series
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Harriet Manners is a heroine for our times: bright – she’s a self-confessed geek with thousands of bizarre facts at her fingertips - a loyal friend, funny, but also constantly anxious and painfully aware of all the ways in which she fails to meet society’s expectations for the typical girl. No wonder young teen readers love her so much. In this adventure Harriet’s agent Wilbur is setting up on his own and when Harriet realises just how dire his financial straits are, and how much depends on her, she throws herself into modelling with characteristically misjudged enthusiasm, accidentally winning a Vogue contract for herself and her baby sister (unknown to her parents). The Geek Girl stories offer the best, freshest and funniest reading for young girls, these are stories to make you laugh, and feel better about who you are too.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the very first Geek Girl. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Zoe Crook - 'I couldn't stop reading this book. Yes, people, this is the type of book that will keep you up all night! Don't say you weren't warned!'
- Robin Johansson,age 14 and Hannah Janman, age 11 - 'Geek Girl is an amazing book for girls in particular, more of a teenage/issues drama than a child's book. I was so upset when I finished it, I really loved it!'
- Meaghan Lagan, age 14 - 'I really enjoyed this book because it had a total twist.'
- Laoise Tabi, age 14 - 'It was a very girly book, humorous and clever. Laugh out loud quality.'
- Kara, age 11 - 'After reading Geek Girl, I felt proud to be who I am because the book shows that you don't have to be like anyone else, you can just be yourself.'
- Stefanie Tucker, age 13 - 'The plot is fresh and I found myself inspired.'
- Alice D'Angelo, age 14 - 'From the first page, I loved Harriet Manners and her look on life.'
- Sezen Mehmet, age 12 - 'I really enjoyed reading Geek Girl. It was engaging and a fun ride of emotions and laughs.'
- Delilah Acworth, age 13 - 'I recommend this book to teenagers everywhere, it is a timeless classic that will be remembered forever, Read it!'
- Eloise Percy-Davis, age 12 - 'I love the zany and warm-hearted way that Holly Smale writes and I look forward to reading more of her work!'
- Izzy Read, age 12 - 'Most people can relate to this book, it covers so many aspects of a person’s life; struggling to fit in, finding out who you are and having problems with friendships.'
- Rachel Bourn, age 13 - 'This is the funniest book I’ve read in a long time. Harriet and her best (ONLY) friend Nat are two of the most entertaining characters I have come across.'
- Mia Cook age 11 - 'I would highly recommend Geek Girl to anyone who likes a good laugh and enjoys a one-of-a-kind story.'
- Safiyah Afghan - 'A perfect book for teenage girls who enjoy these clever books about ordinary teenagers who undergo radical changes, but stay true to themselve.'
- Carla Mc Guigan age 12 - 'This novel was a very interesting read and I really enjoyed reading it. I look forward to reading more of Holly Smale’s books.'
- Emily Clowes, 11 - 'Geek Girl is an amazing book. Harriet and her best friend, Nat are living in a world of fashion. Being clever doesn't always help you through your troubles and Harriet finds this out when she goes through her teen confusions. This book is filled with laughter and tears; it's a bit like being on a roller coaster and ending up at the end of a catwalk every time.
Head Over Heels by Holly Smale
Harriet Manners knows almost every fact there is. She knows duck-billed platypuses don't have stomachs. She knows that fourteen squirrels were once detained as spies. She knows only one flag in the world features a building. And for once, Harriet knows exactly how her life should go. She's got it ALL planned out. So when love is in the air, Harriet is determined to Make Things Happen! If only everyone else would stick to the script...Has GEEK GIRL overstepped the mark, and is following the rules going to break hearts all over again?
PRAISE FOR GEEK GIRL:
Loved GEEK GIRL. Wise, funny and true, with a proper nerd heroine you're laughing with as much as at. Almost. James Henry, writer of Smack the Pony and Green Wing
A feel-good satisfying gem that will have teens smiling from cover to cover, and walking a little taller after reading - Books for Keeps
I would highly recommend Geek Girl to anyone who likes a good laugh and enjoys a one-of-a-kind story. Mia, Guardian Children's Books website
About the Author
Interest Age: From 11
More books by Holly Smale
Author's Facebook Latest
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
7th April 2106
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12