Written by Clara Vulliamy
Part of the Dotty Detective Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2016 Book of the Month Dot’s story is told in a unique diary format of hilarious Tweet-style observations, selfie pics (artworked by Clara), under the duvet moments back at ‘HQ’ (Dot’s bedroom) and clues that Dot finds and sticks into her book. She’s an everyday girl, but one who isn’t afraid to say
what she means and make you laugh whilst she’s saying it. And with the help of McClusky, her faithful sidekick hound, she is always ready to sniff out a mystery. The books are packed full of humorous scenarios from both home and school that every young girl will recognise.
Publisher, Ruth Alltimes, “Dot is destined to be the new ‘book-best-friend’ of young girls everywhere; she is impishly funny, aspirational and so full of curiosity that girl readers will be drawn into her world of mini mysteries! Clara Vulliamy's signature stylish, witty artwork creates an irresistible young fiction package.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Serena Mazin, age 8 - 'It is a super book about solving mysteries. It is a quick read with fun sketches of Dot and of course her faithful friend a dog called McCluskey.'
- Evie Meredith, age 6 - 'I would give this 10/10! The book is about a girl called Dotty and she moves house and find things are missing.'
- Bethany McNeil, age 8 - 'Dotty Detective was a great book. I liked how the words were written in different styles and how the pictures were created...It's an amazing book to read!'
- Aminah Kauser, age 10 - 'A quick and easy read that I enjoyed so much.'
- Mia Schader, age 9 - 'If you like solving crimes and being a detective you will love this book, it’s funny too!'
- Cassandra Butler, age 6 - 'This book was amazing and I really enjoyed it. Dotty has just moved and has to start at a new school as the new kid, but makes friends with Ben (Beans) and they become detectives!'
- Sophie Bridges, age 13 - 'I think Dotty Detective by Clara Vulliamy is a good book, with a good story line. However, being 13 years old I think the book is a bit young for my age.'
- Aarav Mehta, age 7 - 'It's funny, it's mysterious and you will be puzzled for a long time.'
- Ruby Laverty, age 6 - 'It was good!! I liked how Dot solved the mystery.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 8 - 'I recommend it to 6-7+ good readers who like to solve mysteries!'
- Martha Cox, age 7 - 'A fun story about being a detective!'
- Abi Zinkin, age 6 - 'This was a really lovely story about a girl who thinks she can be a detective, but she's also starting a new school after moving house, and she's making new friends, but it's not sad at all, just fun.'
- Lauren Evans, age 10 - 'it is a quick and easy book which I would recommend to ages 5+...I loved it!'
- Elliot Bateman, age 8 - 'The book is good for boys and girls...Dotty is fun, friendly and funny and I really liked her.'
Win a Limited Edition copy of The Smartest Giant in Town!
The Smartest Giant in Town, a modern classic by the uber-talented team of Julia Donaldson and Axel Sheffler, is celebrating its 15th Anniversary.
To mark this occasion we will be giving away FIVE copies of this limited edition storybook. To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 6 February 2017. The winners will be notified by 20 February 2017.
Dotty Detective by Clara Vulliamy
Meet Dorothy Constance Mae Louise, or Dot as she prefers to be called! Dot loves super-sour apple sherberts, running fast and puzzles - especially if they're fiendishly tricky. And with the help of trusty sidekick, Beans and TOP DOG, McClusky, she is always ready to sniff out a mystery. So when meangirl Laura seems set on sabotaging the school talent show, Dot is determined to find out how, and save the day...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Clara Vulliamy
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
5th May 2016
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15