Written by Clara Vulliamy
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
May 2016 Book of the Month Dot’s story is told in a unique diary format of hilarious Tweet-style observations, selfie pics (artworked by Clara), under the duvet moments back at ‘HQ’ (Dot’s bedroom) and clues that Dot finds and sticks into her book. She’s an everyday girl, but one who isn’t afraid to say
what she means and make you laugh whilst she’s saying it. And with the help of McClusky, her faithful sidekick hound, she is always ready to sniff out a mystery. The books are packed full of humorous scenarios from both home and school that every young girl will recognise.
Publisher, Ruth Alltimes, “Dot is destined to be the new ‘book-best-friend’ of young girls everywhere; she is impishly funny, aspirational and so full of curiosity that girl readers will be drawn into her world of mini mysteries! Clara Vulliamy's signature stylish, witty artwork creates an irresistible young fiction package.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Serena Mazin, age 8 - 'It is a super book about solving mysteries. It is a quick read with fun sketches of Dot and of course her faithful friend a dog called McCluskey.'
- Evie Meredith, age 6 - 'I would give this 10/10! The book is about a girl called Dotty and she moves house and find things are missing.'
- Bethany McNeil, age 8 - 'Dotty Detective was a great book. I liked how the words were written in different styles and how the pictures were created...It's an amazing book to read!'
- Aminah Kauser, age 10 - 'A quick and easy read that I enjoyed so much.'
- Mia Schader, age 9 - 'If you like solving crimes and being a detective you will love this book, it’s funny too!'
- Cassandra Butler, age 6 - 'This book was amazing and I really enjoyed it. Dotty has just moved and has to start at a new school as the new kid, but makes friends with Ben (Beans) and they become detectives!'
- Sophie Bridges, age 13 - 'I think Dotty Detective by Clara Vulliamy is a good book, with a good story line. However, being 13 years old I think the book is a bit young for my age.'
- Aarav Mehta, age 7 - 'It's funny, it's mysterious and you will be puzzled for a long time.'
- Ruby Laverty, age 6 - 'It was good!! I liked how Dot solved the mystery.'
- Daniel Bisland, age 8 - 'I recommend it to 6-7+ good readers who like to solve mysteries!'
- Martha Cox, age 7 - 'A fun story about being a detective!'
- Abi Zinkin, age 6 - 'This was a really lovely story about a girl who thinks she can be a detective, but she's also starting a new school after moving house, and she's making new friends, but it's not sad at all, just fun.'
- Lauren Evans, age 10 - 'it is a quick and easy book which I would recommend to ages 5+...I loved it!'
- Elliot Bateman, age 8 - 'The book is good for boys and girls...Dotty is fun, friendly and funny and I really liked her.'
Dotty Detective by Clara Vulliamy
Meet Dorothy Constance Mae Louise, or Dot as she prefers to be called! Dot loves super-sour apple sherberts, running fast and puzzles - especially if they're fiendishly tricky. And with the help of trusty sidekick, Beans and TOP DOG, McClusky, she is always ready to sniff out a mystery. So when meangirl Laura seems set on sabotaging the school talent show, Dot is determined to find out how, and save the day...
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Clara Vulliamy
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
5th May 2016
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love finding new books to read. My mummy and me look at the new ones coming out. I have written reviews of some of them!Jessica Cobbin – age 7
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7