Moone Boy 2: The Fish Detective
Written by Chris O'Dowd, Nick Vincent Murphy
Part of the Moone Boy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Here we have another episode in the life of hapless eleven-year-old Martin Moone, related by his imaginary best-friend and sidekick Sean Murphy in as fine a free-fall stream-of-consciousness narrative as you could hope for, full of asides, tangents and footnotes! Christmas is coming but money in the Moone household is tight, and Martin realises he’s going to have to buy his own Gameboy (it’s the 1980s). This means getting a job and he’s taken on in her butcher’s shop by his friend’s aunty. Something fishy is going on in Francie ‘Touchy’ Feeley’s Fishatorium over the road, and it’s not just the themed ‘diorama’ window displays. Martin goes undercover to investigate. This is totally nutty, and very, very funny. I love Sean’s helpful explanations of Moone/Irish life: ‘WHISHT – the Irish equivalent of ‘Shush’, but a bit wetter, like most things Irish.’ ~ Andrea Reece
And you can catch Moone Boy in his own tv series on Sky 1 starring co-writer and Hollywood actor Chris O'Dowd - watch a trailer here!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review the first title in the series The Blunder Years. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'A brilliant tale of a hapless boy, his imaginary friend and how they deal with the problems of everyday life in a unique and hilarious way.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A brilliantly funny read full of crazy characters, hilarious definitions and cool cartoons. I loved it!'
- Tomasz Hawryszczuk, age 10 - 'Really funny book and just like the TV series. If you like Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates, you will surely like this too!'
- Cameron Lobban, age 10 - 'What a funny book! I laughed and laughed but also found the ending sad. I hope this is not the last I have heard of Martin Moone and Sean Murphy.'
- Sam, age 10 - 'I laughed until I cried - a brilliant book, perfect for reading to cheer yourself up.'
- Edward, age 10 - 'A total ball! A laugh every page!'
- William Longlands, age 11 - '7/10 I liked the plot but would not read it again.'
- Lola Thurston-Mathews, age 8 - 'Martin is tired of living in a family full of girls and really wants a wingman. When his best friend Padraic tells him about imaginary friends he becomes desperate to find one.'
- Joseph Harris-Hart, age 13 - 'A funny story, and silly at times, which I liked. I picked it up to have a quick browse before I was going to read it properly but I got sucked right into it and couldn't stop reading it!'
- Dylan Sweet - 'I rate this book 5 star and it can be for boys or girls, any age.'
- Patrick John Griffith, age 10 - 'I love the silly stuff, if you want a better imagination, if you want a laugh, then this is the book for you!'
- Gabriel Phelan, age 11 - 'Moone Boy is a weird and wonderful book, with many crazy twists and turns on the side of the plate.'
- Alex Hall, age 9 - 'Martin Moone tries to get an 'IF' (who is an imaginary friend). His first IF is an annoying & loud IF, so he gets another one. This one is better. The problem is that the old IF hasn't disappeared!'
- Daniel, age 8 - 'This is a really funny, hilarious and brilliant novel.'
Win a SIGNED hardback copy of Ottoline and the Purple Fox!
We are giving away 3 signed hardback copies of the fourth Ottoline adventure written and illustrated by Chris Riddell, Ottoline and the Purple Fox.
To have a chance of winning one of these great prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
Draw closes on 5 December 2016. The winners will be notified by 16 December 2016 and you should have your prize in time for Christmas!
Moone Boy 2: The Fish Detective by Chris O'Dowd, Nick Vincent Murphy
Successful film and TV star Chris O'Dowd collaborates with friend and fellow screenwriter Nick Vincent Murphy on Moone Boy: The Fish Detective, the second book in this hilarious illustrated series inspired by the Sky TV series they co-wrote. Martin's parents are strapped for cash: it's going to be a budget Christmas this year. So Martin plans to buy his own presents - and attempts, unsuccessfully, to get a job. Padraic puts in a word for him with his Auntie Bridget, who runs the local butcher's shop. But her shop is struggling as the fish shop across the road undercuts her, and Bridget just can't compete. No one knows how the owner, Francie Feeley, does it - especially since he doesn't seem to employ anyone at his fish factory. No one goes in; no one comes out - it's a mystery. Intrigued, Martin decides to go undercover and find out the truth, like a fish-mole - or a fish detective. Martin infiltrates the factory and discovers that Francie is illegally employing a gang of Brazilian fish-gutters. They're a lot of fun and one of them, Fabio, becomes Martin's good friend. But when Martin is exposed as a spy, he has to choose which side he's on. Will Christmas be ruined for the whole of Boyle?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 8
Chris O'Dowd, Nick Vincent Murphy
More books by Chris O'Dowd, Nick Vincent Murphy
Macmillan Children's Books an imprint of Pan Macmillan
5th May 2016
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16