Puppy Academy: Murphy and the Great Surf Rescue
Written by Gill Lewis
Illustrated by Sarah Horne
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
In a nutshell : daring puppy heroes Gill Lewis’s little stories of the doggy students of the Puppy Academy have much to recommend them. Each story stars a different dog tasked with learning a rescue skill, but generally facing a personal challenge too. Murphy, a Leonberger pup, is big and strong, used to being admired by the other puppies. He’s determined to do best at water rescue training and finds it hard to cope when tiny Rodrigo, the Mexican hairless dog, proves to be a natural in the water. Murphy has to swallow his pride, along with quite a lot of sea water, before he feels at ease with himself again. It’s a fun and reassuring story and gently delivers a message about the right way to behave.
Some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were lucky enough to read and review the first in the Puppy Academy series, Scout and the Sausage Thief. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Daniel Bisland, age 7 - 'I give it 10/10 and recommend it to 7+ animal lovers. I can’t wait for more books. I love the illustrations!'
- Constance, age 8 - 'Make no bones about it, boys and girls who love characterful dogs will adore Scout and the Sausage Thief!!!'
- Annelie Jonsson, age 5 - 'A fun and entertaining story with a good message about false accusations. We're looking forward to another adventure.'
- Oscar Smith, age 8 - 'This book is about a puppy that wants to be a police dog! I would recommend this book to young, emerging, relatively new readers.'
- Connor Lobban, age 7 - 'Will Scout find the sausage thief? Read and find out.'
- Emelia Thomas, age 7 - 'I think everyone will love this mysterious story because Scout teaches us how to stand out and be brave ourselves.'
- Hannah, age 7 - 'It's all about dogs and I love dogs.'
- Emily, age 6 - 'The story is happy and exciting. Children who like dogs will like this book.'
- Beatrice Whithear, age 8 - 'This book is about a German Shepherd Puppy called Scout, who is in Sausage Dreams Puppy Academy. All she wants to be is a Police Dog like her Mum and Dad.'
- Rebecca, age 5 (soon to be 6) - 'I enjoyed the book because it was funny. I want to read the other books because they might be exciting too.'
- Phoenix Williams, age 7) - 'Puppy Academy is full of interesting characters. I would recommend it to younger readers and animal lovers.'
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'An easy and entertaining read.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'Lovely book about puppies who are doing training to do different types of jobs like Police Dogs and Guide Dogs.'
- Luke Killen, age 7 - 'A very funny mystery.'
- Annabelle Cassidy, age 6 - 'A funny book with lots of adventures, so good I read it all in one day.'
Puppy Academy: Murphy and the Great Surf Rescue by Gill Lewis
Puppies to the rescue! Murphy the leonberger puppy is used to being the best, so when new student Rodrigo comes top of the class he struggles with his jealousy. But Murphy faces his biggest challenge when he is sent to the beach to try for his Surf Rescue Badge. Can he be brave when it matters most?
'Gill Lewis has established herself as the principal contemporary writer of animal stories, combining a vet's knowledge of her subject with a novelist's capacity for character and plot.' Telegraph
'Children will delight in the adventures of the crime-busting canines' The Bookseller
About the Author
More books by Gill Lewis
Author's Facebook Latest
Oxford University Press
7th July 2016
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen