The Other Alice
Written by Michelle Harrison
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | Julia Eccleshare's Book of the Month August 2016 Award-winning Michelle Harrison’s The Other Alice is a fast-paced, tautly woven story stuffed full of imagination, magic and adventure which gives life in the world outside to characters who should remain safely within the pages of a book. Midge’s sister Alice loves writing stories but she is also tormented by them and the characters in them. Especially when she can’t finish one. When Alice goes missing her younger brother Midge is sure that the clues to what has happened to her will lie in her writing. Can Tabitha, a talking cat help him? Or Gipsy, a character from a story who is also searching for Alice? Or will the secret lie in The Museum of Unfinished Stories? It is a punchy adventure that also delves into the power of imagination. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Julia Eccleshare's Picks of the Month for August 2016
Children love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading4kids expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Alexander Bisland, age 10 - 'I really enjoyed this book because I always wanted to read on and find the answers to the riddles...at times the story is quite dark and it leaves you on the edge of your seat.'
- Cara Andersons, age 11 - 'An amazing book! I didn't want to put it down! I love the style of Michelle Harrison, it's so captivating.'
- Sam Harper, age 11 - 'A fantastically brilliant adventure full of riddles and magic. I loved it!'
- Jane Emmins, age 12 - 'The Other Alice is quite possibly the best book I have ever read. With its intriguing characters and twisting plot I just couldn't put it down!'
- Alice East, age 11 - 'Have you ever wanted a story to come true and the characters to jump off the page? Well then this is a book for you because that is exactly what happens.'
- Jack Smith, age 11 - 'This is a story of friends, enemies and betrayal. I would recommend this book to the ages of 10+ and I would definitely read it again!!!!!'
- Edel Waugh - 'This was an awesome story combining the fictional and real world, and giving us a really good mystery and adventure, two of my favourite things!'
- Rosie Jeffery, age 14 - 'the many plot twists and fun moments in this novel more than make up for its slower pacing, as they help spread the plot twists evenly.'
- Rosie Watch - 'The plot was clever and so well planned and I loved the way everything linked and overlapped. This book will definitely be going on my classroom bookshelf.'
- Year 7 pupil, Dormston School - 'I really enjoyed it and it’s opened my mind to try different genres that I wouldn't usually choose.
I would give this book a rating of 5/5.'
- Aimee Sweet, age 14 - 'Katherine Rundell called this book "gripping" and I totally agree...For readers who have enjoyed Patrick Ness, and age 13 plus. I would give this 4 stars out of five.'
The Other Alice by Michelle Harrison
What happens when a tale with real magic, that was supposed to be finished, never was? This is a story about one of those stories ...Midge loves riddles, his cat, Twitch, and - most of all - stories. Especially because he's grown up being read to by his sister Alice, a brilliant writer. When Alice goes missing and a talking cat turns up in her bedroom, Midge searches Alice's stories for a clue. Soon he discovers that her secret book, The Museum of Unfinished Stories, is much more than just a story. In fact, he finds two of its characters wandering around town. But every tale has its villains - and with them leaping off the page, Midge, Gypsy and Piper must use all their wits and cunning to work out how the story ends and find Alice. If they fail, a more sinister finale threatens them all ...
About the Author
More books by Michelle Harrison
Author's Facebook Latest
Simon & Schuster Childrens Books an imprint of Simon & Schuster Ltd
28th July 2016
Books of the Month
Books of the Year 2016
Julia Eccleshare's Picks
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans