Lockwood & Co: The Creeping Shadow
Written by Jonathan Stroud
Part of the Lockwood & Co. Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2016 | In a nutshell: spooky suspenseful unputdownable
Jonathan Stroud’s Lockwood & Co series about a company of teenage psychics attempting to keep the streets of a nearly-but-not contemporary London clear of malevolent spirits is simply superb. Each episode offers a first-class helping of brilliantly-written, edge-of the-seat adventure packed with intrigue, humour and even a touch of romance, and I can’t think of another modern series that makes for quite such entertaining reading. In this book our narrator Lucy gives up freelance ghost-hunting and returns to Lockwood & Co helping them despatch the terrifying Ealing Cannibal and tackling a small army of ghosts threatening a Hampshire village. As we approach the final book in the series, plots that have been developing over the course of the series are coming together, and the suspense has never been higher. Unmissable. ~ Andrea Reece
- Jamie Bamford, age 11 - 'You can’t put down The Screaming Staircase. You instantly feel part of it. The characters’ fears are your fears; their happiness is your happiness; you see what they see. Recommend for brave 9+.'
Sam Harper, age 11 - 'Like Ghostbusters with an extra dimension, there’s action, twists, turns and mystery. The Screaming Staircase was impossible to put down.'
- Kevin Goodall - 'With a puzzling murder story to solve they will have to use all of their brains to get out alive or die like the last team that went in did. I can't wait for the next book to come out.'
- Poppy Milburn, age 10 - 'This book involves so much energy, excitement and fear. You actually feel that you are entering the book, feeling all the characters' emotions for yourself.'
- Daisy Pritchard-Williams, age 11 - 'I highly recommend it to readers over 9 because for anyone younger it would be scary.'
- Amelia Corrick-Gough, age 14 - 'This book kept me on the edge of my seat, and is all I can think about! I love this book! I can't say a bad word about it. In my opinion, this book is up there with the Harry Potter series.'
- Cora Willans, age 9 - 'I would say this book should be read by confident readers only as it was a fairly scary book.'
- Edward Bailey, age 10 - 'A cracking read! Jonathan has really outdone himself! It couldn't be better!'
- Jenna Welch, age 10 - 'This hair-raising book chilled me to the bone but surprisingly contained a rather large amount of sarcastic humour.'
- Callum Broomfield - 'I couldn’t put this book down and ended up reading it late into the night. The ideas were great and the book was well written with a good pace and strong, well-drawn characters and I would look forward to reading a second book by Jonathan Stroud.'
- Traviss Chaytors, age 12 - 'Absolutely brilliant… but do not read on your own just before bedtime!'
- Rose Hopkins - 'Lockwood & Co is funny and scary at the same time – the perfect mix. I love the ghost buster theme and it has a wonderful twist.'
- Llew Harrison, age 8 - 'The action starts straight away and I was gripped until the very end. This is the spookiest book I have ever read but it is also very funny. So read if you dare!'
Lockwood & Co: The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud
Lucy has left Lockwood & Co. A freelance operative, she is hiring herself out to other agencies - agencies that might value her ever-improving skills. But now Lockwood needs her help. Penelope Fittes, leader of the well-renowned Fittes Agency wants Lockwood & Co. - and only them - to locate and remove the 'Source' for the legendary Brixton Cannibal. It's a tough assignment. Made worse by the tensions between Lucy and the other agents - even the skull is treating her like a jilted lover! What will it take to reunite the team? Black marketeers, an informant ghost, a Spirit Cape that transports the wearer, and mysteries involving their closest rivals may just do the trick. But not all is at it seems. And it's not long before a shocking revelation rocks Lockwood & Co. to its very core...
If you're in the market to have your pants scared off this Halloween, this atmospheric tale, finely balanced between horror and humour, will definitely do the trick ... There are few writers whose work I look forward to more. -- Imogen Russell Williams Middle Grade Strikes Back
Publication of a new Lockwood and Co. adventure must qualify as one of the literary events of the year. Jonathan Stroud not only writes like a dream, he creates some of the most inventive, most exciting storylines around. -- Andrea Reece LoveReading
Brilliant as ever. Spectator I enjoyed it so much, I hope there will be yet another book soon to follow in this fabulously told series. Amazed Earthling, with Guardian Children's Books
I love this series so much, the characters are funny ... the ghosts are awesome. An Awful Lot of Reading
Praise for other titles by this author:
This story will keep you reading late into the night, but you’ll want to leave the lights on. Stroud is a genius at inventing an utterly believable world which is very much like ours, but so creepily different. Put The Screaming Staircase on your “need to read” list Rick Riordan
Genuinely spooky and suspenseful, with appealing characters and great dialogue, and all shot through with Stroud’s dry wit Guardian
Plenty of humour alongside the chills Financial Times
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Jonathan Stroud
Author's Facebook Latest
Corgi Childrens an imprint of Random House Children's Publishers UK
15th September 2016
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans