Written by Michelle Paver
Part of the Gods and Warriors Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2013 - August 2013 Book of the Month - Shortlisted for the 2013 Leeds Book Award By the best-selling author of Wolf Brother, Gods and Warriors is this year's most hotly anticipated children's novel. The first book in a breathtaking adventure series set in the Greek Bronze Age: a time when the lowliest goatherd could rise to become a hero.
Click here to download a letter from Michelle Paver to her readers, which tells more about the time the book is set and how she used her research to bring the Gods and Warriors series to life.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Lewis Duckworth, age 12 - 'book is amazing and you definitely should not hesitate to get this book. If you see it at the shops don’t just look at it .... BUY IT!!!!!!' Read full review >
- Ellen Faulkner, age 12 - 'The Outsiders was fairly good and it moved at a good pace but it lacked a little bit in the plot. I felt like there could have been more but it was okay.' Read full review >
- Mukunth Kowsik, age 12 - 'If there is a book with a steady storyline that will take you into the story without any complications and keep you on the edge of your seat until the end, it's The Outsiders.’ Read full review >
- James Lawrence Griffith, aged 10 - 'This gripping historical adventure story would suit all adventure lovers with an interest in mythology. I loved it and found it similar to the Percy Jackson books.' Read full review >
- Lucy Minton, age 10 - 'An excellent read because it draws you in from the start...I would recommend this book because it is fast paced and ends on a cliffhanger.' Read full review >
- Adam Pattenden, age 12 - 'The first installment in what promises to be a brilliant series describing a boy's desperate search for his sister in Ancient Greece.' Read full review >
- Lucy Allan-Jones, age 12 - 'The Outsiders is a compelling, nerve-wracking, unputdownable and unique story.' Read full review >
- Robert White, age 10 - 'A gripping read, this book is impossible to put down. Gods, warriors, a chase, a shipwreck, a rescue, what else could you ask for?' Read full review >
- Jenny Bridgeman, age 8 - 'This book brought me to a mystical place where gods and warriors are born.' Read full review >
- Tabi Cooper, age 12 - 'Action. Adventure. Survival. Following the mythological story of Hylas, a twin, this shows us what it feels like to be an outsider.' Read full review >
- Lucas Abbott, age 9 - 'Great story, great characters, a gripping tale.' Read full review >
- Caelainn, age 9 - 'I enjoyed the book. I liked how the author used description, so I had a clear picture in my head.' Read full review >
- Sam Moffat, age 11 - 'If you like books which have strong bonds between animals and humans you would like it. It was quite nice as well to see how the dolphin is thinking.' Read full review >
The Outsiders by Michelle Paver
'If an Outsider wields the blade, the House of Koronos burns...' Hylas is only a boy but he knows three things: The Gods exist. Magic is real. Somebody wants him dead. Hunted and alone, Hylas is desperate to find his missing sister. His quest takes him across the hostile mountains and treacherous seas of Ancient Greece. His only friend is a girl on the run. His only guide is a wild dolphin. And his murderous enemies are closing in...
The Gods and Warriors series
Electrifying Independent on Sunday
The reader's attention is caught from the first line ...spellbinding Telegraph
Set to become another children's classic Books for Keeps
Praise for Michelle Paver's work..
The kind of story you dream of reading and all too rarely find The Times
A classic children's book ... superb writing -- Anthony Horowitz
These books are full of magic, adventure and action, and they appeal equally to both sexes -- Charlie Higson
Heartstoppingly real The Independent
Dazzling entertainment ... seamless storytelling -- Julia Eccleshare lovereading.co.uk
Like other great children's books which also entrance adults, Wolf Brother conjures up an utterly believable, yet original world where the story grips you to the very last page -- Sir Ian McKellen
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Michelle Paver
Author's Facebook Latest
Puffin Books an imprint of Penguin Books Ltd
1st August 2013
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman