The Bell Between Worlds
Written by Ian Johnstone
Part of the The Mirror Chronicles Series
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2013 & August 2013 ebook of the Month Debut-author Ian Johnstone offers his readers an enormous and richly created world to explore in this elaborately constructed fantasy. Sylas Tate steps into the unusual Shop of Things and, through his remarkable powers of imagination and his ability to do magic, he is swept off on an adventure into another world known simply as Other. But Other is not any arbitrary creation. Sylas soon finds that it is only in Other that he will be able to find the part of himself that is missing and become whole.
Nick Lake, Fiction Publishing Director at HarperCollins Children’s Books, says: “The Bell Between Worlds is quite simply the best 10+ fantasy I have read in a decade, combining beautiful, pitch-perfect writing with heart and humour – all the more remarkable as it’s a debut. I cannot wait for other book-lovers to discover its wonderful, immersive magic for themselves.”
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Darcy Gray, age 10 - 'This book takes you on a magical journey full of friendship, betrayal and mystery...I couldn’t put it down.'
- Lucy Minton, age 9 - 'The Mirror Chronicles: The Bell Between Worlds is an exciting thriller which will have you on the edge of your seat.'
- Sam Harper, age 9 - ‘The Bell Between Worlds is a magical adventure and you won't want it to end. I can't wait to find out what happens in the next in the series.'
- Niki Keep, age 11 - 'One day on an errand for his slaving uncle Sylas saw someone lurking in the old shop that was always empty... a voice enticed him in and his strange but wonderful journey began.'
- Ewan Young, age 10 - 'I literally could not put this book down, it was EPIC! Full of magic and adventure.'
- Jack Graham - 'Overall this book is an excellent read. I would read any other books by Ian Johnstone as well as the rest of the series and recommend this to anyone 11+'
- Emma Baird, age 10 - 'This is a spellbinding book, I really like it because there are so many things going on at once and that makes it such an exciting book.'
- Jeanette S, age 9 - 'I enjoyed this gripping page turner because of its magical creatures and objects. Both boys and girls would enjoy this book.'
- Shannon Slipper - 'I love this book because you get gripped into Sylas' adventure. I couldn't put it down.'
- Jenny Duffy - 'This is a gripping fantasy adventure, with some truly excellent world building...I eagerly await the next instalment of Sylas’ adventures.'
- Abigail Blackwell, ge 11 - 'A very good plot and excellent character development and it still has a lot of mystery unfolding. If you like looking up words, you find out lots of new ones!'
- Ellie Frost - 'Sylas is drawn on a quest for his mother by the chimes of a great bell into a city that isn't his, but exists in the same space. This story is so vivid that I really felt I was there and part of the action.'
The Bell Between Worlds by Ian Johnstone
Half of your soul is missing. The lost part is in the mirror. And unless Sylas Tate can save you, you will never be whole again. Sylas Tate leads a lonely existence since his mother died. But then the tolling of a giant bell draws him into another world known as the Other, where he discovers not only that he has an inborn talent for the nature-influenced magic of the Fourth Way, but also that his mother might just have come from this strange parallel place. Meanwhile, evil forces are stirring, and an astounding revelation awaits Sylas as to the true nature of the Other. As violence looms and the stakes get ever higher, Sylas must seek out a girl called Naeo who might just be the other half of his soul - otherwise the entire universe may fall...
The Bell Between Worlds is the first book in the Mirror Chronicles trilogy, a glorious, epic, door-to-another-world fantasy of astounding quality in the grand tradition of CS Lewis and Philip Pullman.
... Could well prove to be one of the greats of any period. Magic Fiction Since Potter A beautifully written book, featuring a vividly imagined alternative world... Jaw-dropping. Through the Gateway Johnstone effortlessly conjures up elaborate worlds rich in both magic and fantasy. The Mirror Chronicles has an enchanting quality that is capable of standing shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Chronicles of Narnia and His Dark Materials ... The narrative flows with ease and the story maintains excitement right to the end. This highly-charged adventure is a delightful page-turner for both children and adults alike. Bookseller (We Love This Book)
About the Author
Interest Age: From 10
More books by Ian Johnstone
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
6th June 2013
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen