Written by Linda Newbery
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Dyslexia Friendly Books of the Year 2014 - Interest Age Teen Reading Age 8+ Award-winning Linda Newbery gives a fresh insight into the First World War in this deeply touching story. Village sweethearts Tilly and Harry are both willing to do what they can to help win the war. Harry joins up to serve in France and Tilly trains as a nurse stationed first near home and later in France. Despite their best intentions each of them finds themselves unable to keep promises made in the course of action. Can they still trust themselves? Can they trust each other? Linda Newbery sensitively charts the wider ripples of the war and its effect.
A Piece of Passion from the Editor, Ruth Williams ‘I loved working on Tilly's Promise. Tilly's such an appealing narrator – sympathetic, yet matter-of-fact and totally lacking in self-pity. Tilly's own experiences as a nurse are moving enough, but particularly distressing are her concerns for her brother Georgie who has learning difficulties – I'd never before thought about what happened to men who were fit enough to fight, but couldn't understand what was going on.’
Tilly’s Promise is the story of a young volunteer nurse. For more information on nurses and medical care during the War and how the War affected those at home visit www.readingwar.co.uk. There is a wealth of fascinating information plus an introduction to the book from Linda Newbery.
Teens love to read and some of our reader review panel were invited to review this title.
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'The reason I like Tilly's Promise by Linda Newbery is because it is very cute how Tilly is very caring for all the people in the ward and cares for them all the same.' Read full review >
- Belinda Brooke, adult - 'This was a truly lovely read...Although factually accurate and educational in its content, Tilly’s Promise never appears to be concerned with either of those things and so pulls them both off effortlessly.' Read full review >
- Millie Finbow, age 12 - 'Story of war. Romance story between Harry and Tilly...When I picked the book up I could not put it down. I don’t like reading but this book was a lovely story to get me reading again.' Read full review >
- Philip Wood, age 12 - 'A touching tale of relationships and emotions during World War I. A thoroughly enjoyable book.' Read full review >
- Chloe Pickering, age 10 - 'I thought this book was wonderful and inspiring. A new way of seeing how people reacted to changes the war brought.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 14 - 'I really enjoyed this book and I would highly recommend it to a wide range of readers, particularly those who are studying World War One, as it gives you a insight into the personal experiences of war.' Read full review >
- Shannon-louise Masters, age 14 -'Tilly's Promise is a great story about war and the ups and downs.' Read full review >
Tilly's Promise by Linda Newbery
Tilly is a young nurse doing her best to help in the war effort. When she hears her brother Georgie must go to the front line in France she is devastated. Georgie isn't like other people - he has learning difficulties and doesn't understand what the war means. Tilly asks her sweetheart Harry to keep Georgie safe. But they soon learn that the nature of war makes any promise hard to keep.
Linda Newbery says: ‘It was one of Siegfried Sassoon's most hard-hitting poems that sparked off Tilly's Promise. Sassoon's simple-minded but happy boy, a powerful symbol of innocence betrayed, became Georgie in my story. For Tilly's own experiences, I drew on Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, probably the best-known and most influential female perspective on the First World War.’
About the Author
More books by Linda Newbery
Author's Facebook Latest
Barrington Stoke Ltd
15th January 2014
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale