Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey
Written by Alex Milway
Illustrated by Alex Milway
Part of the Pigsticks and Harold Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
A wonderfully humorous adventure for Pigsticks and his friends Harold when they decide they must set off on a journey of discovery to the Ends of the Earth. Pigsticks is determined to prove that he has the mettle of his forbears, Harold turns up just in time for an adventure of his lifetime! Pigsticks loves adventure, luckily, Harold has a lot of commonsense – and a great deal of cake! The story of the two intrepid travellers is a delight.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Lauren Carver, age 7 - 'I think Pigsticks and Harold is a very funny book with funny names. They are trying to find the end of the earth. The reason I like Harold is because he loves CAKE like me!' Read full review >
- Lauren Randall, age 6 - 'I liked all the interesting pictures and especially the part with the parachute.' Read full review >
- Matthew Wilson, age 6 - 'This is a REALLY great book. It's really funny (especially Bobbins the angry mouse).' Read full review >
- Grace Philpot, age 7 - 'This book tells the story of a pig called Pigsticks and a hamster called Harold. It is a funny adventurous story...I found it very easy to read and I liked the illustrations.' Read full review >
- Luke Douglas, age 6 - 'Pigsticks wants to go to the end of the earth, but he wants a partner to go with him. He chooses Harold the hamster. Really good...Funny and I liked the pictures.' Read full review >
- Robyn Chorley, age 5 (and mum) - This was a great book to share with Robyn...It was very funny and had us both laughing out loud.' Read full review >
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 6 - 'Very funny book, I loved Pigsticks and Harold particulary who loved his cake. The pictures are lovely and I hope he has more adventures.' Read full review >
- Evie Aconley, age 7 - 'A fun adventure book that takes you to the end of the world...It was funny and made me smile!' Read full review >
- Isabel, age 6 - 'It is great to read, I loved reading it...I got the jokes and I liked the drawings a lot.' Read full review >
- Bella Hussain, age 7 - 'The story is very funny made me smile!' Read full review >
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I enjoyed the book because I like adventures. I love the colourful pictures in the book. I like Pigsticks and Harold because they are the main characters and they are funny.' Read full review >
- Aaraav Mehta, age 5 - 'It was a great adventure going to the Ends of the Earth with the two friends, Harold and Pigsticks.' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'I love this book, and I want to read more books in this series.' Read full review >
- Val Cobbin, Jessica's Mum - 'I think that books like this with their lavish illustrations and humorous touches are a great way to get children enthused about books.' Read full review >
Win a Bear Hunt Goodie Bag!
The arrival of spring brings 2 new books based on the world of We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Oxenbury, especially to encourage your children to get out and about and explore the outdoors this Easter.
And we have copies of My Explorer's Journal and My Adventure Field Guide to give away!
ONE LUCKY WINNER will get a copy of both My Explorer's Journal and My Adventure Field Guide, a DVD of We're Going on a Bear Hunt animation, a poster, and a small cuddly bear. THREE RUNNERS-UP will receive a copy of each book as runner up prizes.
To have a chance of winning one of these super prizes, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey by Alex Milway
Pigsticks and Harold set off on a journey to the Ends of the Earth armed only with a sense of adventure (Pigsticks'), common sense (Harold's), and a lot of cake. They pick their way through jungles, trek across deserts and climb a huge mountain, but the Ends of the Earth are always just out of reach. When their last crumb of cake is stolen and it doesn't look like they'll ever make it home again, they finally find the Ends of the Earth - in the last place they'd ever think to look.
pretty near perfect for that in-between stage of reading. More please Red Reading Hub Pigsticks and Harold are a delightfully off-beat duo who bring with them a breath of big world fresh air and a backpack full of laughter. They're quirky, wonderfully accident prone and will tickle the funny bone of any child who loves zany humour and madcap adventure. A colourful and lively story Lancashire Evening Post A fabulous book that gets the imagination running wild Babybuzz Magazine It's all quick and cartoonish, silly yet charming, and hopefully part of a series, as it strikes me the young reader's shelves could do with more of those qualities from the friendly paws of this particular duo The Book Bag Pure, joyous silliness abounds in a story about ambition, trust, self-belief, and the dangers of goats Financial Times A hilariously illustrated young reader book ideal for children ages 5 or older (but stacked with comic references that adults will also love) Bath Life A charming tale The Glasgow Herald Original and unusual arousel [...] irresistibly crammed with comic-book speech-bubble elements and outrageous visual puns, ideal for those who like their humour raucous and deliciously silly. Books for Keeps
About the Author
Interest Age: From 6
More books by Alex Milway
Walker Books Ltd
1st May 2014
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques