The Glass Bird Girl
Written by Esme Kerr
Part of the Knight's Haddon Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 - May 2014 Debut of the Month An engrossing school adventure story packed full of mystery and rich in atmosphere. Orphaned Edie is rescued from a miserable stay with cousins because she can be useful in discovering exactly what is happening at the exclusive Knight’s Haddon School for Girls where Anastasia, the daughter of a Russian prince, is studying. The school is in a castle cut off from the outside world. When mysterious things happen – and especially when Anastasia’s precious possessions go missing – no one knows quite whom to blame. Can Edie get to the bottom of what is going on?
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher, Chicken House I went to a boys’ boarding school – we had straw hats and silly rules, but I loved living with a bunch of friends all day, every day. It was like being on a desert island with prefects! Of course, we imagined all the visitors were criminals and there was a dire secret in the clock tower. But actually, maybe Esme Kerr’s right; it was the teachers who had the real secrets all the time . . .
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Katie Johnson, age 10 - 'I really loved this story because of all the cliffhangers; I couldn't put the book down or stop turning pages...10 out of 10!' Read full review >
- Eva Majury, age 10 - 'I liked the fast paced plot, the element of mystery and the school setting which reminded me of Enid Blyton's books. It was like being in another time – imagine no tv, no apps, no Minecraft!' Read full review >
- Tilly Dickinson, age 9 - 'I really liked this book, it was a cross between an adventure and a detective book that kept me in suspense and wanting to read more.' Read full review >
- Emma Stephenson, age 10 - 'an exciting mystery with remarkable characters...This wonderful book includes midnight feasts, private towers and rich princes.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'This is a book about a girl who is sent away to a boarding school to look after a Russian Princess. Her mission is to spy on the pupils and teachers to see if they are being mean to the princess.' Read full review >
- Aditi Mehendale, age 11 - 'A must-read for any fans of Enid Blyton's boarding school series, i.e. Malory Towers with a twisted plot that hints at madness, secrets, and a world where anyone could be under suspicion.' Read full review >
- Alice Bullard, age 10 - 'A thrilling book set in a big, strict boarding school. Orphan Edie is sent as a secret spy to see if a Russian Princess is being bullied.' Read full review >
- Traviss Chaytors, age 10 - 'A brilliant book full of laughs and drama...I would recommend this book to drama lovers as it is full of it. This is clearly a 5 out of 5 for me as it’s amazing and I loved it.' Read full review >
- Adiella Norridge, age 10 - 'The Glass Bird Girl is a mysterious book full to the brim with adventure...It kept me guessing all the way through. I would highly recommend it.' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'The mystery keeps you guessing until the very end when it reaches it's exciting climax. It had me on the edge of my seat and holding my breath. A brilliantly exciting mystery!' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'The Glass Bird Girl is a thrilling mystery adventure where heroine Edie faces life threatening danger in a tale that kept me gripped from the first to the last page.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 10 - 'I like this book because there are lots of mysteries and a big adventure happening at the same time. I hope there is another book after this one because I would love to find what happens next at the school.' Read full review >
- Lucy Turner, aged 11 - 'Overall this is a great book! I never put it down as it was always so tense. My favourite character has to be Edie because she is brave and kind. I would definitely give this book 10 out of 10.' Read full review >
- Madi Campbell, age 14 - 'This is an extremely intriguing read, you will try and make up answers to the questions in your head, however you will probably be wrong due to a twist in the storyline.' Read full review >
- Amie Coffman, age 10 - 'I loved this exciting and original book and could not put it down. If you like mysteries with a twist this is the book for you. One of my favourite books. I can't wait for more books by this author.' Read full review >
- Grace Sansom, age 10 - 'I loved this book - it was full of tension and excitement and I couldn't wait to read it every evening.' Read full review >
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'I really enjoyed this book and I could read it over and over again and still wonder what was going to happen next.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Glass Bird Girl by Esme Kerr
When Edie is sent by her guardian, a secretive art dealer, to Knight’s Haddon School, it’s not because he cares. He needs Edie to befriend Anastasia, the unhappy daughter of one of his richest Russian clients, Prince Stolonov.
But something strange is going on. Anastasia is an exotic and fragile girl, and she’s not the spoilt princess that everyone thinks she is. Someone means her harm and it’s up to Edie to find out who.
A note from the author.....‘I often think of the boarding school I attended long ago, when there were no computers or mobile phones, and the outside world was something we knew we would barely glimpse again until the next holiday, or the end of term. I tried to imagine whether such a place might ever exist today, and then in my mind's eye I saw Knight's Haddon, but it turned out to be a much more mysterious place than the school I'd known…’
Kerr’s debut is impressive and strikes just the right tone for girls looking for a modern Mallory Towers. Daily Mail
About the Author
More books by Esme Kerr
Chicken House Ltd
1st May 2014
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods