The Black North
Written by Nigel McDowell
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Chock full of mysticism and dark magic this enchanting new fantasy set in The Divided Isle, once a place of peace and tranquillity, that has been ravaged by war is based on Irish legends and mythology is completely compelling as it takes you on a journey that will surprise you with its twists and turns and breathtaking pace. From the author of Tall Tales from Pitch End.
A Piece of Passion from Naomi Colthurst, Assistant Editor I fell in love with Nigel's writing the first time I read Tall Tales from Pitch End. Whilst being swept away to dark, complicated land full of very fragile and human characters, I knew we had discovered an amazing new voice and talent in teen fiction. And reading The Black North has only confirmed that opinion for me. This is a book where you can see an author having grown in confidence and experience - Nigel tells a brilliantly complex tale in the simplest and most meaningful of ways, and it is a pure joy from start to finish. This is only Nigel's second book, and I simply can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Susanna Wagstaff, age 11 - 'An original book, with many twists and turns in the confusing, but interesting plot, full of magic and unimaginable things, which draw you in and make you feel like you never want to put it down!' Read full review >
- Jack Wilson, age 11 - 'Gripping and intriguing.' Read full review >
- Beth Honeyman, age 11 - 'The Black North is a fantastic book. I loved it from the moment I picked it up. A fast paced adventure, amazing.' Read full review >
- Izzy Read, age 13 - 'This was a breath-taking and charismatic book that had me gripped from the start...This book is a rollercoaster of an unexpected journey to mystical and magical places.' Read full review >
- Alice East, age 9 - 'I thought was a very exciting book with lots of magic and monsters. This book is about a girl who has to take a precious stone and destroy it before it falls into the hands of the evil king!' Read full review >
- Finn Morris, age 12 - 'I give this book 8.5/10, it was a very good book but it had too little action for me.' Read full review >
The Black North by Nigel McDowell
Twins Oona and Morris live with their grandmother in a stone cottage in the quiet southern county of Drumbroken, but the threat of the Invaders of the Black North - the ravaged northern part of the island - is coming ever closer. When Morris, fighting against the Invaders, is kidnapped by one of the evil Briar Witches, Oona must journey to the unknown realms of the Black North in search of her brother. She is accompanied only by Merrigutt, a jackdaw with mysterious transformative powers, and a treasured secret possession: a small stone in the shape of a plum, but a stone that reveals truths and nightmares, and which the Invaders and their ruler, the King of the North, seek more than anything. Oona must keep the stone safe at all costs, and find her brother, before the King of the North extends his evil hold over the whole island and destroys it forever.
Praise for Tall Tales from Pitch End
A unique creation ... a gripping fantasy adventure that's very difficult to put down. The
About the Author
Interest Age: From 13
More books by Nigel McDowell
Hot Key Books
5th June 2014
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14