Written by Lucy Ivison, Tom Ellen
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014
**Due to content we recommend this as suitable for at least 15+**
June 2014 Debut of the Month Shortlisted for The Times/Chicken House Children's Fiction Competition 2013 Funny, awkward and full of genuine teenage passions and anxieties, Lobsters, told in the alternate voices of Hannah and Sam is both tender and entertaining. Hannah worries that she’ll never find her perfect partner; Sam thinks no one will ever fancy him. Each tells what happens and how they feel when they meet. Is this the true love they have both been looking for?
The authors Tom and Lucy are best friends who wanted to write the true, awkwardly funny story of first love. Written from the perspectives of both a boy and a girl, and fuelled from Tom and Lucy's own experiences as an ex-couple, this is a wise, hilarious and deeply compassionate (and slightly rude!) breath of fresh air.
A Piece of Passion from Barry Cunningham, Publisher, Chicken House I was a hopeless teenager – scared of girls, motorcycle gangs and being asked to do anything practical (not necessarily in that order). If only I’d known some of what Lucy and Tom reveal . . .actually, that would have made it worse – so best you read it for yourself. It’s funny, true and wise.
In addition, some of our Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Sarah Murray, age 15 -'*Warning: Do not read this book in public as it may result in weird looks from strangers as you will be laughing hysterically*' Read full review >
- Poppy, age 17 - 'The most funniest book I have ever read...' Read full review >
- Kaya B, age 16 - 'There were so many laugh-out-loud moments; I was wiping my tears of laughter from my face...has a great plot and is full of a fantastic cast of characters.' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth, age 15 - 'It has been the first book in a long time that I have specifically stayed up to read. A wonderfully funny book with a bit of heart for good measure.' Read full review >
- Rosie Cousins, age 14 - 'The plot cleverly devised in-between two points of view, made me want to read more...This book has made me believe in fate, with all the mistakes leading to the one you know is the one for you.' Read full review >
- Ciara McIlvenna, age 17 - 'A light-hearted, comedic read, reminiscent of what it is like to be young, free and looking for love.' Read full review >
- Jodi Coffman - 'This is a great book with an exciting story line. Every chapter has a plot change and I couldn't wait to read on. I would recommend this book if you like love stories with a twist!' Read full review >
- Jade Craddock, Adult - 'Original, quirky and unique...as well as being great fun, it’s a sincere and endearing read. Everything young adults could want from a book.' Read full review >
- Raimy Greenland, Adult - 'Oh my word. I haven't laughed so much in years and that was within the first few chapters! What a book!' Read full review >
Lobsters by Lucy Ivison, Tom Ellen
Sam and Hannah only have the holidays to find 'The One'. Their lobster. But instead of being epic, their summer is looking awkward. They must navigate social misunderstandings, the plotting of well-meaning friends, and their own fears of being virgins for ever to find happiness. But fate is at work to bring them together. And in the end, it all boils down to love.
Hilarious, romantic and unbelievably awkward, this story explores themes of adolescence, friendship, love and first sex with a shrewd insight into the highlights, pitfalls and vulnerabilities of life as a teenager. Lobsters is an unusual and collaborative project written like a game of literary consequences with each author taking it in turns to write a chapter. Tom narrates the male side of the story, Lucy the female and the final chapter was composed simultaneously via MSN Messenger.
About the Author
Lucy Ivison, Tom Ellen
More books by Lucy Ivison, Tom Ellen
Author's Facebook Latest
Chicken House Ltd
5th June 2014
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman