The Broken King
Written by Philip Womack
Part of the The Darkening Path Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 When Simon is really annoyed with his sister Anna he summons up the Broken King from a favourite poem and asks him to take her away. Of course, he doesn’t really believe that it will happen –it’s only an old poem after all…. But then, Anna vanishes and Simon sets off on a mission to rescue her and finds himself caught up in an extraordinary and fantastical world in which it is impossible for him to predict what will happen next. Will Simon be able to get Anna back safely? A magical story full of powerful images and unexpected consequences.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'A very good book, read if you like adventures stories with lots of magic.' Read full review >
- Robert White, age 10 - 'I loved this book; I could never put it down. A five star read! The Broken King is a mighty action packed book filled with magical creatures of all kinds.' Read full review >
- Emily Passmore, age 13 - 'Imaginative, interesting and just amazing, this book is a definite for anyone who has a love of fantasy. Just trust me, read it!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This was an exhilarating, dark adventure which kept me hooked from the first page to the last word. The creatures were terrifying and amazing. Fantastic!' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'A fast-paced tale of danger, magic and adventure...I was gripped from the very first page and I can't wait to read book two in the Darkening Path series. I highly recommend this book.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'FANTASTICALLY written fantasy adventure, from the day it arrived it didn't leave my hands. It will capture your imagination from the very first page. I can’t wait for book two to be published.' Read full review >
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'I extremely enjoyed this book, it is one of my favourite books that I have ever read. It gripped me from page one.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
The Broken King by Philip Womack
'We saw your sister being taken. We know what you have to do to get her back. There are many dangers. You will find help in places you don't expect.'
To enter the land of the Broken King, they must completes three tasks:
But how do they even begin?
The Darkening Path trilogy is a superlatively well-written quest adventure that will keep readers on the edge of their seats from the opening page to the very last word. This is intelligent fantasy writing for young readers of the very highest order.
About the Author
More books by Philip Womack
28th June 2014
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham