The Broken King
Written by Philip Womack
Part of the The Darkening Path Series
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2014 When Simon is really annoyed with his sister Anna he summons up the Broken King from a favourite poem and asks him to take her away. Of course, he doesn’t really believe that it will happen –it’s only an old poem after all…. But then, Anna vanishes and Simon sets off on a mission to rescue her and finds himself caught up in an extraordinary and fantastical world in which it is impossible for him to predict what will happen next. Will Simon be able to get Anna back safely? A magical story full of powerful images and unexpected consequences.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Benjy Randall, age 10 - 'A very good book, read if you like adventures stories with lots of magic.' Read full review >
- Robert White, age 10 - 'I loved this book; I could never put it down. A five star read! The Broken King is a mighty action packed book filled with magical creatures of all kinds.' Read full review >
- Emily Passmore, age 13 - 'Imaginative, interesting and just amazing, this book is a definite for anyone who has a love of fantasy. Just trust me, read it!' Read full review >
- Sam Harper, age 10 - 'This was an exhilarating, dark adventure which kept me hooked from the first page to the last word. The creatures were terrifying and amazing. Fantastic!' Read full review >
- Sidney Greenslade, age 10 - 'A fast-paced tale of danger, magic and adventure...I was gripped from the very first page and I can't wait to read book two in the Darkening Path series. I highly recommend this book.' Read full review >
- Rose Heathcote, age 15 - 'FANTASTICALLY written fantasy adventure, from the day it arrived it didn't leave my hands. It will capture your imagination from the very first page. I can’t wait for book two to be published.' Read full review >
- Daisy Theobald, age 11 - 'I extremely enjoyed this book, it is one of my favourite books that I have ever read. It gripped me from page one.' Read full review >
The Broken King by Philip Womack
'We saw your sister being taken. We know what you have to do to get her back. There are many dangers. You will find help in places you don't expect.'
To enter the land of the Broken King, they must completes three tasks:
But how do they even begin?
The Darkening Path trilogy is a superlatively well-written quest adventure that will keep readers on the edge of their seats from the opening page to the very last word. This is intelligent fantasy writing for young readers of the very highest order.
About the Author
More books by Philip Womack
28th June 2014
Lovereading4kids is great, we get books really early never late. We love to read and review, and think you would like it too. The excitementJasmine Harris-Hart, age 12
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It has introduced my children to books we hadn’t come across before. Real children’s reviews gives a great insight into what others think toLorraine Woods
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family