Written by Archie Kimpton
Illustrated by Kate Hindley
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
July 2014 Debut of the Month Introducing a fantastically funny new voice in children's fiction. Think David Walliams meets Franck Cottrell Boyce with a smidgen of classics like Dick King-Smith and Richmal Crompton thrown in. Jumblecat is bursting with quirky characters (including a jumbled up talking cat - I ask you!, a taxidermist and an eccentric old lady), juicy and playful writing. It is a book to be relished, read and re-read over again. Beautifully illustrated with lots of black and white line art by the Greenaway Medal nominated artist Kate Hindley, Jumblecat is sure to capture a child's heart as has happened with the kids from the Lovereading4kids reader review panel who were lucky enough to read and review it ahead of publication.
A Piece of Passion from Emma Matthewson, Editor-at-Large It was quite a dreary day outside when I started reading Jumblecat by Archie Kimpton, and it cheered me up so much! The story of Billy, who discovers a cat who not only can talk but is literally jumbled up (head, tail, ears, paws, all in the wrong place) is such fun. For fans of Roald Dahl and David Walliams, this story is perfect for boys and girls - something that really drew me to it, when so many stories are clearly aimed at one or the other. I just loved it as I laughed (at Billy's obsessively neat freak mother hairdrying the carrots before she puts them in the fridge) and cried (at Billy's really very touching relationship with his gentle father). I really hope everybody else who reads it will love it just as much as I do.
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Elspeth Paterson, age 9 and 11 months - 'I absolutely loved this amusing novel and the creativity the author has put into the story. It shows that a cat can be a boy’s best friend even if it is jumbled up!' Read full review >
- Ethan Douglas, age 9 - 'I liked this book because it is original - I haven't heard anything like it before.' Read full review >
- Ariella Glatherine, age 6 - 'A really good chapter book with lots of chapters - brilliant cliffhangers to keeping me reading.' Read full review >
- Isabel, age 7 - 'I really enjoyed this book, it was a little bit tricky but my Mummy and Daddy helped me with some of the words.' Read full review >
- Emily Golding, age 7 - 'A funny exciting story that everyone should read. A 10/10 book. This book made me very happy.' Read full review >
- Ellen Cox, age 7 - 'I couldn't wait to keep reading this book! I can't wait until everyone can read it - I think they will enjoy it.' Read full review >
- Evie Aconley, age 7 - 'Fantastic fun, read all about Jumble Cat, a brilliant cat all jumbled up and his friend billy and what adventures they get up to together.' Read full review >
- Erica Motoc, age 7 - 'My mum called me for breakfast but I couldn’t put the book down. That’s how interesting it is to read!' Read full review >
- Jenny & Libby Bridgeman, age 9 & 6 - 'This book is amazing!! It's for fans of David Walliams but Archie Kimpton has him beat because he made Libby and Jenny both laugh where Walliams couldn't. This author is one to watch!' Read full review >
- Brodie Greenslade, age 8 - 'Jumblecat is a very exciting book, full of unusual animals, adventure and fun! Read full review >
- Lucy Keaveny, age 8 - 'Jumblecat is not like any other cat. He is a jumbled up cat. When Billy discovers this strange cat that not only does not look right but also talks his life changes in ways he could not imagine.' Read full review >
- Katie Lonsdale - Mum to Emily, age 8 & Oliver age 6 - 'Interesting book about a cat who falls down a hill and gets up looking really mixed up with his head where his bottom should be etc.' Read full review >
- Daniel, age 7 - 'I think that people should read this book because it's funny and there are lots of weird names in it. I can't wait to read another book by the same writer.' Read full review >
- Judith A. Smith, age 8 ½ - 'I love this book so much I would really like this to turn into a series. This book is the very best book I have ever read. I love the adjectives so tempting to use some in my writing.' Read full review >
- Alexander Bisland, age nearly 9! - 'I liked this book as it was very exciting and funny!' Read full review >
- Melissa Broomfield, age 7 - 'This is awesome because it has great descriptions. The words are quite tricky for a seven year old but it was great to read with my mum. It made me laugh!' Read full review >
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Jumblecat by Archie Kimpton
Billy Slipper is a fairly normal boy with a definitely not-so-fairly normal family. All he wants to do is add to his 'Collectabillya' (an assortment of weird and wonderful objects he finds) in peace, but his cleaning-mad mum (she even clingfilms the carrots!) and his fantastically horrid twin sister have other ideas. However, they don't bargain on Billy finding his best ever Collectabillya - Jumblecat! Jumblecat is a ...well, a jumbled-up cat (who talks, by the way), and he's set to change the Slippers' lives forever. With the help of his batty old-lady next-door-neighbour, Billy must battle to win the town pet show (top prize: GBP10,000), find a vet who can un-jumble Jumblecat (price: GBP10,000), Rescue Jumblecat when he is stolen (culprit: an insane taxidermy-obsessed general) - and then stop Jumblecat from getting stuffed, all with the help of his dad's milk float. Sounds easy? Well, you just haven't met Jumblecat yet.
This is a delightfully nutty story, fizzing with energy, colourful characters and a lively use of language. -- Sally Morris Daily Mail
Its portrait of a difficult domestic life is funny while retaining its grit, and Billy's friendship with his elderly neighbour Mrs Mandiddee comes straight out of Roald Dahl. This is a first novel, and I will watch with great interest where Kimpton goes next. -- Lorna Bradbury The Telegraph
About the Author
Interest Age: From 5
More books by Archie Kimpton
Hot Key Books
3rd July 2014
Hot Key Books is an imprint of Hot Key
Hot Key Books, a division of Bonnier Publishing, publish stand out, quality fiction, for 9 – 19 year olds, print and digital that people like to talk about. If you are looking for something a little bit different from your books, something a little bit special then Hot Key Books may well have just what you want.
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14