Algy's Amazing Adventures in the Jungle
Written by Kaye Umansky
Illustrated by Richard Watson
Part of the Early Reader Series
Lovereading4kids Price £3.99
£4.99 saving £1.00 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Meet Algy. He’s just moved house. Moving house is on the long list of things he doesn’t like, along with girls, snakes, crocodiles, mad tigers and having adventures. Algy meets Cherry (who just happens to be a girl) from next door and before he knows it he’s off traipsing through the jungle - on an adventure! Maybe, just maybe he’ll discover he’s braver than he thinks. In fact he might just be a hero. This is an exciting story about facing your fears and helping a friend in need.
Red Early Reader books are the next step on your child's reading journey, encouraging independent reading with exciting stories and engaging illustrations. Short accessible chapters make them ideal for newly confident readers - we also think they're great for sharing too!
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Cassandra Butler, age 5 - 'Algy doesn't like girls but goes on an adventure with Cherry, the girl next door into the jungle and meets some monkeys, a crocodile and gets chased by a tiger! He decides he does like girls after all.' Read full review >
- Cassandra’s Mum - 'This book has a great balance of short texts on each page together with pictures to keep the reader interested.' Read full review >
- Lucy Bridges, age 8 - 'When Algy moves house he finds that there is a hole in his shed that leads to a jungle and when he startes to explore the jungle with his next door neighbour Cherry, things start to get exiting.' Read full review >
- Ben Fallows, age 6 - 'I loved Algy. My favourite part was when Algy rescued the glasses. It was amazing and I read it all by myself.' Read full review >
- Lauren Carver, age 7 - 'This is a great book with lovely imaginative pictures and just the right size chapters for early readers. My seven year old loved Algy's full name and the adventure!' Read full review >
- Harry Gray, age 6 - 'I liked reading this book. Algy had a really good adventure. I liked that it had chapters and I would like to read another book about Algy's adventures.' Read full review >
- Stanley Howarth, age 7 - 'Great adventure story, with fantastic pictures. Algy is very funny.' Read full review >
- Libby Bridgeman, age 6 - 'A lovely book that we're hoping is the start of a series of advnetures with Algy!' Read full review >
- Oliver Lonsdale, age 6 - 'Loved it, can’t wait to find out what Algy does next.' Read full review >
- Daniel Bisland, age 6 - 'I give it 1,000/1,000. I recommend it to people who like adventure books aged 6+. I want to read more of the Early reader books!' Read full review >
- Daniel’s mum, Cat Bisland - 'We’ve read a few books in this series and would highly recommend them as they are a great starting point for the children. They are slightly longer and are divided into chapters which is great for early readers.' Read full review >
- Nate Anderson, age 6 - 'It was funny because Algy whacked the crocodile on its head and put a stick in its mouth.' Read full review >
- Jessica Cobbin, age 7 - 'I read this book all by myself...There are some good pictures and the story is not too long.' Read full review >
Algy's Amazing Adventures in the Jungle by Kaye Umansky
There are lots of things Algy doesn't like - top of the list is his own name. Algernon is just weird. Pugh sounds a bit like - well, never mind. Other things on his list include: Girls, the Dark, and Having Adventures. So imagine Algy's surprise when he finds a jungle at the bottom of the garden of his new house! And imagine his irritation when his annoying next door neighbour, Cherry - yes, a GIRL - wants to come and explore it with him. She'll only giggle and whisper if he doesn't go with her. But will they ever make it home again?
Early Readers from Orion Children's Books are stepping stones from picture books to reading books. A blue Early Reader is perfect for sharing and reading together. A red Early Reader is the next step on your reading journey. Each one is full colour throughout with big bold illustrations on every page.
About the Author
Interest Age: from 5 to 7
More books by Kaye Umansky
Orion Children's Books (an Imprint of The Orion Publishing Group Ltd ) an imprint of Orion Publishing Co
2nd May 2013
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading as my 5 year old loves to read new books before anyone else has a chance, she says it makes reading exciting!Tracey Chorley