Written by Amy Ewing
Part of the The Lone City Trilogy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
when in stock
As soon as this book is back in stock we will send you an email.Compare book price We'd love you to buy your books from Lovereading - especially if we helped you to choose them! But as our mantra is guidance, and that includes guidance on price, please do use our 'Compare Book Price' service to discover if the best value deal is from Lovereading or another specialist bookstore.
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2014 Debut of the Month A fascinating and entirely captivating young adult dystopian romance full of spirit, spark and tenacity. Step into another world, one that’s entirely different to our own but in some ways as familiar. Cruelty, jealousy, affection and trust join in battle across the pages as Violet is torn from her family, trained and then sold as Lot 197 to become a surrogate breeder for royalty. Concealed within the fight for a breath of freedom is a chance meeting and the possible embrace of a forbidden love story. This is at its heart a romance, but a romance that doesn't overshadow the clamour for independence and liberty made by a bewitching cast of characters. Hopefully it will not be too long a wait for the next in the trilogy, as this story just begs to be continued. ~ Liz Robinson
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Rosie Cousins, age 14 - 'unlike any other book I’ve read with plot twists and drama arriving continuously to spike up the readers attention.' Read full review >
- Katherine Sheldon, age 13 - 'A very interesting read that sucks you into her world.' Read full review >
- Eleri Jones, age 13 - 'If you loved The Hunger Games and Divergent, you'll love this! The Jewel is captivating and exciting from start to finish, can't wait for the next book!' Read full review >
- Nia Jones, age 16 - 'Hooked from the first sentence, this book left me wanting more!' Read full review >
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'This book is one that turns the pages for you, the words flowing in an effortless river of description and magic. Well done to Ewing for such a masterpiece! Thumbs all the way up!' Read full review >
- Safiyah Davenport, age 15 - 'A masterpiece that I loved from start to finish The Jewel is a must have for your book wish list.' Read full review >
- Inés Davies, age 13 - 'I enjoyed reading this book so much that I read it in a day: I couldn’t put it down!' Read full review >
- Delilah Acworth, age 15 - 'an incredibly heart wrenching tale full of repressed feelings and social hierarchy.' Read full review >
- Imogen Fisher, age 14 - 'I really really enjoyed reading The Jewel, in fact I loved it so much I read it in one day!' Read full review >
- Izzy Read, age 13 - 'Overall it was a stunning debut novel; perfect for all teenage girls that want a bit more than a romance, I dearly hope it will be a bestseller!' Read full review >
- Ciara McIlvenna, age 17 - 'An absorbing tale of friendship, love, power and what it means to be free, will keep you up into the small hours of the night eager to turn that last page.' Read full review >
- Amy Laws, age 13 - 'This dystopian novel is amazing, I can't believe I have to wait until September 2015 to read the next one :(' Read full review >
- Molly Hudson, age 13 - 'Wow! really good debut novel, Violet is a feisty girl who doesn't want to be a royal surrogate, but the choice isn't hers to make, suddenly she's thrust into the weird and sinister world of The Jewel.' Read full review >
- Kulsuma Begum - 'it was hugely captivating. I couldn’t stop turning the pages, wanting to know what would happen to Violet next.' Read full review >
The Jewel by Amy Ewing
Violet Lasting is no longer a human being. Tomorrow she becomes Lot 197, auctioned to the highest royal bidder in the Jewel of the Lone City. Tomorrow she becomes the Surrogate of the House of the Lake, her sole purpose to produce a healthy heir for the Duchess. Imprisoned in the opulent cage of the palace, Violet learns the brutal ways of the Jewel, where the royal women compete to secure their bloodline and the surrogates are treated as disposable commodities. Destined to carry the child of a woman she despises, Violet enters a living death of captivity - until she sets eyes on Ash Lockwood, the royal Companion. Compelled towards each other by a reckless, clandestine passion, Violet and Ash dance like puppets in a deadly game of court politics, until they become each other's jeopardy - and salvation.
It will appeal to fans of dystopian, dark romance, stepping beyond the paranormal craze. It is perfect for fans of Allie Condie and The Hunger Games. It is a debut novel from a radical new voice in YA. It is the first book in The Jewel trilogy.
. [...] We mean it when we say that The Jewel is impossible to put down - and be sure to watch out for that insane plot twist... Stylist
About the Author
Interest Age: From 14
More books by Amy Ewing
Author's Facebook Latest
Walker Books Ltd
4th September 2014
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
Lovereading is just a convenient way to find new books and hear others opinions on them.Sarah Murray – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I love Lovereading because I often never know what to read and this helps you find a good book. I have recommended this to many people.Shannon-Louise Masters – age 15
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East