Written by Kate A. Boorman
Part of the The Winterkill Trilogy Series
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
September 2014 Debut of the Month This is such a gloriously different and delightful read. The storyline sucks you in whole and clamours to be read as quickly as possible, while the beautifully bewitching writing encourages you to savour every word. Emmeline and her people rely on their fortified settlement and the virtues of honesty, bravery and discovery for survival. Every fibre in Emmeline longs for for the wilderness of the woods, her dreams hold knowledge, a promise, a future; can Emmeline walk her dreams in reality? Boorman has the wonderful ability to spirit you away to an imaginative creation that feels so very real; you experience the pain of Emmeline’s crushed foot and can literally taste the fear of the settlement when the warning alarm sounds. There may be a wait ahead for the second book in the trilogy but that gives you plenty of time to re-read this wonderful book again and again. ~ Liz Robinson
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert review, some of our Lovereading Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Alice East, age 10 - 'I would recommend this book to those who like to read magical mysteries. The story keeps you guessing what is going to happen next so you want to read more.' Read full review >
- Maddy Faulkner, age 12 - 'Winterkill is a haunting, mythical book. I really enjoyed this book because it is mysterious and keeps you thinking. It’s quite dramatic because of the action packed chapters and brave characters.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'Winterkill is a captivating novel that focuses on a settlement surrounded by woods. Leaving the settlement is forbidden, yet this is exactly what Emmeline wants to do.' Read full review >
- Holly Carver, age 11 - 'Winterkill is a book with mystery, love and adventure. This book pulled me in and I loved it, it will entertain you for hours and you wont put it down until you have finished.' Read full review >
- Hannah Baer, age 11 - 'Winterkill I found a bit boring after a few pages. This was because it was really confusing and I had no idea what was happening.' Read full review >
- Sophie Bridges, age 11 - 'I think Winterkill is a really good book...The reason I like this book is because I like adventures and this is a very adventureous book.' Read full review >
- Emma Baird, age 11 - 'I like this book because it’s mysterious and keeps you thinking. It’s quite dramatic due to the action packed scenes and sudden plot twists...I would definitely recommend this amazing book.' Read full review >
- Anna Leaver, age 10 - 'a thrilling book full of surpises. I was shocked at the end and wanted to know more!' Read full review >
- Abigail Mann, age 13 - 'A fantastic read, a well structured and very clever story. I love how it all unravels at the end. It was such a cliff hanger.' Read full review >
- Jemma Rubens, age 10 - '. A suspenseful novel, filled with apprehension.' Read full review >
- Rachel Ilsley, age 10 - 'This book was superb and I enjoyed every minute of it.' Read full review >
- Natalie Hunter - 'I really enjoyed reading Winterkill and couldn't put it down.The plot was brilliant. If you are thinking about reading this book think no more: just read it.' Read full review >
Win an original print from The Pavee and the Buffer Girl
Siobhan Dowd's powerful story of the fight against racism and prejudice, The Pavee and the Buffer Girl, has been reissued as a splendid graphic novel with stunning illustrations by Emma Shoard. We are giving away an ORIGINAL print from the book (shown here) and a copy SIGNED by Emma.
To have a chance of winning this special prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 3 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 15 May 2017.
Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman
Where Emmeline lives, you cannot love and you cannot leave...The Council's rules are strict, but they're for the good of the settlement in which Emmeline lives. Everyone knows there is nothing but danger the other side of the Wall, and the community must prepare for the freezing winterkill that comes every year. But Emmeline struggles to be obedient under the Council's suffocating embrace - especially when she discovers that a Council leader intends to snatch her hand in marriage. Then Emmeline begins to hear the call of the trees beyond the Wall...
About the Author
Kate A. Boorman
More books by Kate A. Boorman
Faber Children's Books an imprint of Faber & Faber
4th September 2014
I love Lovereading as it provides an honest opinion and showcases a range of fiction. Suited to both parents & kids alike, it’s a must-use.Georgie Rowe – age 16
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham