There Will be Lies
Written by Nick Lake
Lovereading4kids Price £10.39
£12.99 saving £2.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the UKLA 2016 Book Award in the 12 - 16 year old category.
Joanne Owen's Pick of the Year 2015 - January 2015 Book of the Month Award-winning Nick Lake tells a complex story fusing two strands of narrative into a richly woven single thread. Seventeen-year-old Shelby Cooper has always been very protected by her mother; she guesses it is partly because she is deaf, partly because her dad is dead and partly she had a terrible accident when she was a baby. But when she is knocked over by a car, her life takes a whole new turn. Suddenly she and her Mom are on the run and everything that she has known about her life before is suddenly questioned. What is the truth? And will she ever discover it? As her life unravels, Shelby retreats into a fantasy world of the Dreaming a place infused with old, old Mythology. Part-adventure, part-mystery and part a teenager’s journey of self-discovery, There Will Be Lies is dramatic and unexpected in equal measure. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Amelia White, age 15 'This is an AMAZING BOOK, I could not put it down I loved reading this and would really recommend it to people who have read Lake’s other books.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'A truly captivating storyline- a tantalising mystery with a twist of fantasy makes this a book you will not want to put down until you've read it through to the end.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson - '. I literally could not put this book down I read it all in one day. I would give this book five out of five stars amazing.' Read full review >
- Louisa Alice Cunliffe, age 17 - 'A book that started with so much promise but in the end left a feeling of disappointment. It left me wondering, I had missed something?' Read full review >
- Inés Davies, age 14 - 'I think that it is a good book and I would recommend it but it takes very thorough reading and understanding.' Read full review >
- Susanna Wagstaff, age 12 - 'This gripping, mysterious fantasy filled with surprises is an unforgettable read, perfect for any fan of mysteries.' Read full review >
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'an incredibly dramatic book. With a complex story line, it certainly gains and keeps your full attention...definitely a recommended read.' Read full review >
- Erin Monaf, age 12 - 'I simply couldn’t put this book down because every page made a new mystery. I would recommend this one to just about anyone who like me, loves to read.' Read full review >
- Jay Hughes, age 13 - 'Shelby’s past is hidden from her.' Read full review >
- Farah Alam - 'I really enjoyed this book. I think the plot was interesting as well the writing.' Read full review >
There Will be Lies by Nick Lake
Shelby Jane Cooper is seventeen, pretty and quiet. It's just Shelby and her mom, Shaylene, a court stenographer who wears pyjama jeans, stitches tapestry, eats ice-cream for dinner and likes to keep Shelby safe. So safe she barely goes out. So safe she doesn't go to school. Because anything could happen, to a girl like Shelby. Anything.
When Shelby gets knocked down by a car, it's not just her leg that's broken: Shelby's world is shattered. Her mom turns up to collect her and drives off into the night, like it's the beginning of a road trip, like two criminals on the run, like Thelma and Louise or Bonnie and Clyde. And somehow, everywhere she looks, there's a coyote watching her, talking to her, telling her not to believe.
Who is Shelby Jane Cooper? If the person who keeps you safe also tells you lies, who can you trust?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Nick Lake
Author's Facebook Latest
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
1st January 2015
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
Love “Lovereading4kids” as my son gets to hear about & read new books before his mates which keeps him interested in reading=a very happy MumLiz Evans
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
LoveReading4Kids is a modern and creative way of emphasising the value and importance of books in this digital age #booksforlifeAmrit Bunet – Teen
Writing reviews help the children with their literacy skills and we always read the books together which gives us good quality family time!Cat Bisland (on behalf of the Bi