Written by Abi Elphinstone
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - A Staff Pick of the Year 2015 - chosen by Shelley Fallows - March 2015 Debut of the Month Abi Elphinstone’s debut novel plunges the reader into a world of magic and adventure. Twelve-year-old Moll lives in a gypsy camp in the Ancientwood. She has no parents but the gypsies’ extended family take care of her. There’s something special about Moll - her very best friend is a wildcat, Gryff, and the strange nightmares that plague her seem to prophesy dark and scary battles in the future. This is a wonderful book with all the elements that go to make classic children’s fantasy – a good versus evil battle in which a young child is pitched against a powerful enemy, the band of close friends who will help Moll, a wild forest setting. And a magical wildcat! It’s perfect for fans of Harry Potter, and there are more adventures to come. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can click here to read their full reviews.
- Lily, age 11 - 'This book is really mysterious and gripping – I couldn't put it down. The descriptions of the surroundings were very vivid and Abi really makes you care about the characters.'
- Joshua Zinkin, age 9 - 'The book was exciting once you got into it but lots of the language was quite difficult.'
- Millie Barrett, age 8 - 'I enjoyed the mysteries and cliff-hangers in the book. It is also very detailed so even though there are no illustrations, it creates pictures in your mind!'
- Alice East, age 10 - 'What I really liked about this book was that it never became boring as there was always something exciting going on...This book was fantastic and I would give it 8.5/10.'
- Sidney Greenslade, age 11 - 'A magical story of mystery and danger, The Dreamsnatcher is full of great personalities and wild landscapes.'
- Michelle Toy - 'The keywords that jumped out to me from this book were friendship, family, community and courage...A fantastic, magical debut Children's novel The Dreamsnatcher is a dream to read!'
- Corey Yuile, age 9 - 'I am the victim of a dreamsnatch! Love Magic? Love Action and Adventure? The Dreamsnatcher is the perfect read!...5 out of 5 from me!'
- Jasmine Harris-Hart, age 12 - 'I liked reading this book even though I didn't get gripped by the plot.'
- Cara Anderson, age 9 and 1/2 - 'Very intriguing. It's quite spooky...'
- Eleanor Cookdale, age 10 - 'This adventure story is both funny and incredibly scary. I really enjoyed reading the book because it was so exciting and full of twists and turns, and also Siddy was very funny.'
- Sophie Bridges, age 12 - 'The Dreamsnatcher by Abi Elpinstone is a good book and the theme is good and the ideas are well thought through.'
- Evie Hollingshead, age 10 - 'An exciting book full of suspense that made me want to read until the end!'
- Chloe, age 11 - 'This is an exciting adventure about a gypsy girl and her friend, a wildcat called Gryff. It gripped me from the first sentence.'
The Dreamsnatcher by Abi Elphinstone
Twelve-year-old Molly Pecksniff wakes one night in the middle of the forest, lured there by a recurring nightmare - the one with the drums and the rattles and the masks. The Dreamsnatcher is waiting. He has already taken her dreams and now he wants her life. Because Moll is more important than she knows...The Oracle Bones foretold that she and Gryff, a wildcat that has always been by her side, are the only ones who can fight back against the Dreamsnatcher's dark magic. Suddenly everything is at stake, and Moll is drawn into a world full of secrets, magic and adventure.
Perfect for fans of J.K. Rowling, Michelle Harrison and Eva Ibbotson.
'A breathtaking adventure, magical and mysterious, with wonderfully engaging characters, gruesomely evil villains and the best child animal relationship I've read in ages!' The Bookseller
'Powerfully imagined action, dangers and battles. Thrilling.' The Sunday Times
'A thrillingly wild adventure - bold, breathless and beautifully told.' Jonathan Stroud
'Fast paced and full of charm' Piers Torday
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9
More books by Abi Elphinstone
Simon & Schuster Ltd
26th February 2015
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I think Lovereading4kids is an amazing company because of the friendly staff and the fabulous chance to read great books before publication.Adam Graham
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
It’s really exciting to read and review new books, thrilling to see my reviews online and I love finding the final published copies on sale.Sam Harper – age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
It gives me a chance to read types of books that I would not normally try, and it motivates me to read every night to finish it!Alice Horncastle, age 14