Harry and Hope
Written by Sarah Lean
Illustrated by Gary Blythe
Lovereading4kids Price £5.59
£6.99 saving £1.40 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
One of our Books of the Year 2015 Any new book by Sarah Lean is a treat, and this is very special indeed. Hope lives in the Pyrenees with her mother, who is an artist, and her mother’s boyfriend, Frank. Frank gives Hope the space to think and be herself, and they are very close. When he suddenly leaves she is heartbroken. But Frank has left Harry too, the donkey he rescued from a building site in India years before. Like Hope, Harry can’t seem to be happy without Frank but together the little girl and the donkey grow strong again. And Frank returns too, with an extra surprise for them both. Young readers will love this touching adventure story, which has so much to say about life and growing up. ~ Andrea Reece
Kids love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Adiella Norridge, age 11 - 'Beautifully written, this is an emotional and touching story. It made me laugh sometimes and made me cry at others.'
- Rosie Watch - 'What a beautiful and unusual book.... It is a real tale of love and belonging.'
- Isabelle Woods, age 9 - 'Harry and Hope is a magical story that captures the readers attention. This is the first book I have read by Sarah Lean and I look forward to reading more.'
- Shannon McCloskey, age 12 - 'I would recommend this book for both boys and girls age 12+. This is my first time reading this author but I hope there will be more in the future.'
- Amisha McCrystal, age 12 - 'Harry and Hope is a breathtaking book full of love, sorrow and all the feelings you get when your mother’s boyfriend who is closer to you than your own mother goes away and purposely leaves his obstinate donkey behind.'
- Jasmine, age 11 - 'The title is imaginative and sweet. It makes you wonder what they mean by the names or whether it is two friends, adults or animals. I love it a lot. It’s so lovely but simple. It’s awesome.'
- Tigger Waghorne, age 10 - 'The relationship between Harry and Hope is really sweet and is described in a special way.'
- Arminata Jacobs, age 10 - 'This book is not predictable and I had to keep reading to find out if Hope would ever see Frank again.'
- Lily Benner, age 9 - 'This book is sad, funny and exciting all at the same time.'
- Scarlett Coffman, age 9 - 'A great book about the friendship between a girl and a donkey.'
- Emily Lonsdale, age 9 - 'A very well written book about the relationships between Harry, Hope and her Mum and Frank.'
- Olivia Russell - 'I liked the book; it was a pleasure to read. It was very emotional and surprising everyone would like it. It would have to be aimed at kids though.'
Win a Timmy Failure Goody Bag!
Everyone's favourite best worst detective is back in Timmy Failure: The Cat Stole My Pants! To mark the publication of the sixth book in this popular series we are giving away a fantastic goody bag which includes the 6 Timmy books, a Timmy scarf, mask, bookmark, and stickers.
To have a chance of winning this super prize, click the button below. Please note that this draw is open only for UK residents and is free to enter, multiple entries from the same email address will only be counted once.
The draw closes on 29 May 2017. The winners will be notified by 5 June 2017.
Harry and Hope by Sarah Lean
Hope lives with her artist mum in the Pyrenees. It's always been just the two of them...until Frank - a free-spirited traveller - arrives with his donkey, Harry. Hope and Frank form a close bond, so it's hard for both of them when Frank decides it's time to move on. Hope questions what she is to Frank. He's not her dad, but he was more than just her mum's boyfriend. Except, there's no name for that kind of pair...
Hope promises to look after Harry and, slowly, another special pair is made - one that makes Hope realise that some friendships become part of you and, even when someone is far away, they are always near to your heart.
'Praise for Sarah Lean's books: Sarah Lean weaves magic and emotion into beautiful stories. Cathy Cassidy
Beautifully written and moving without being mawkish. A talent to watch. - The Bookseller Buyers Guide
Touching, reflective and lyrical.' - Sunday Times, Culture
'Sarah Lean's graceful, miraculous writing will have you weeping one moment and rejoicing the next.' - Katherine Applegate, author of The One and Only Ivan
About the Author
Interest Age: From 9 From 9
More books by Sarah Lean
HarperCollins Children's Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers
12th March 2015
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
It is fantastic, you get to read lots of books and you always find something new and amazing in them.Erica Motoc, age 7
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
We love Lovereading4kids because they put books in front of us we wouldn’t otherwise have read. They make us more adventurous readers!Emily Jacques
I have told all my friends, family & teachers to see for themselves just how great the site is. Without fail, they are hugely impressed.Alexander Boxall – age 11
A great way to introduce kids to great books, authors & genres. Parents can find age-appropriate books to share with their children.Judi Davies – Aberdare Girls Sch
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High