Elspeth Hart and the School for Show-Offs
Written by Sarah Forbes
Illustrated by James Brown
Part of the Elspeth Hart Series
Lovereading4kids Price £4.79
£5.99 saving £1.20 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Elspeth Hart lives with her horrible aunt, Miss Crabb, at the Pandora Pants School for Show-offs. It is the first adventure featuring the fabulous Elspeth Hart, a modern heroine with doodles on her Converse trainers and unstoppable determination. But when Elspeth realises that Miss Crabb is lying to her, she hatches a daring escape plan, involving a high-profile festival, a pair of smelly underpants and a top-secret Extra-Special Sticky Toffee Sauce. It is a fast-paced and funny story from a fresh new voice in children's fiction and her quirky adventures will delight fans of David Walliams, Lemony Snicket and Roald Dahl.
The Good Book Guide Review. Elspeth doesn’t remember what happened to her parents or how she came to be living at the School for Show-offs. She spends her days cleaning and avoiding Tatiana Firensky. Then one day, Elspeth bumps her head and starts to remember… Can she escape from the school, and keep her secret safe? This enjoyable comic story contains larger-than-life characters in a range of amusing situations. (Ages 8–11)
~ Andrea Rayner
Kids love to read and so in addition to our expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title. You can read their full reviews by clicking here.
- Isabelle Preston, age 10 - 'I liked this book because of its mysterious manner. I liked the idea that a shy girl lives in a show-off school and that she was sto - oops almost gave the story away!'
- Rachel Zinkin, age 8 - 'This book was funny and entertaining and full of adventure. I really liked this book and I am looking forward to the next one.'
- Georgie Docwra, age 9 - 'A great easy-to-read book!'
- Lily Benner, age 10 - 'I liked this book, it was interesting, funny and gruesome.'
- Sabina Beinart- Smith, age 7 - 'This book is good because it had lots of unexpected things happening and surprises. My favourite character is Elspeth because she is caring and kind and helpful, unlike the bossy Tatiana Firensky!'
- Evie Aconley, age 8 - 'The most exciting book I have ever read!! A must read for all those who like a good adventure.'
- Amisha McCRystal, age 13 - 'A one of a kind book, that will blow your mind. Sarah Forbes is the new Roald Dahl.'
- Erica Motoc, age 9 - 'The book Elspeth Hart and the School for Show-offs is really good.'
- Cora Willans - 'I think Miss Criag is REALLY mean.'
Elspeth Hart and the School for Show-Offs by Sarah Forbes
Ever since her parents were tragically washed away in a flood, Elspeth Hart has been forced to live in the attic of the Pandora Pants School for Show-offs with her disgusting aunt, Miss Crabb. She spends her days helping out in the kitchen and dodging Tatiana Firensky, the most horrible show-off of them all. Her only friend is the awkward and shy Rory Snitter, who is inseparable from his pet lizard, Lazlo. But when a knock on the head from a falling book brings back some of Elspeth's memories from before the flood, she begins to suspect that Miss Crabb is hiding something.
'Elspeth Hart is piles of fun from beginning to end. You can't help but root for Elspeth, who's forced to contend with a memorable cast of wonderfully unlikeable characters as she unravels the mystery of her predicament. Bursting with intrigue and unpleasantness!' Guy Bass
'I thoroughly enjoyed it, it romps along with great pace, good jokes and horrible characters. And the wonderful illustrations complement the text beautifully.' A.F. Harrold
'Hilariously written, wonderfully illustrated and with superbly depicted characters, I can see this being immensely popular - it's refreshingly different and Elspeth is excellent.' Parents in Touch
About the Author
Interest Age: From 7
More books by Sarah Forbes
Stripes Publishing an imprint of Little Tiger Press Group
4th May 2015
I love Lovereading4kids because I get an opportunity to put my opinion forward and to try new booksElosie Clarkson – age 11
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11
You give me age appropriate ideas of books I can read and buy for the children and find out what other children their age think of them too.Katie Lonsdale
It’s so easy to find the right book for your child. Such an easy-to-use, yet in-depth website. 100% reliable.Pippa, Jack, Liam & Matthew Wils
We love Lovereading4kids because it promotes reading choices, new authors and a sense of community for children of all ages!Rachel Bridgeman