There Will be Lies
Written by Nick Lake
Lovereading4kids Price £6.39
£7.99 saving £1.60 (20%)
Please login (or signup) to download the extract
You will need to Sign Up or Login before you can download a book extract.
To Sign Up all you need to do is give us your email address and a password and let us know the types of books you like. Thank you.
The Lovereading4Kids comment
Shortlisted for the UKLA 2016 Book Award in the 12 - 16 year old category.
Shortlisted for the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2016.
One of our Books of the Year 2015 - Joanne Owen's Pick of the Year 2015 Award-winning Nick Lake tells a complex story fusing two strands of narrative into a richly woven single thread. Seventeen-year-old Shelby Cooper has always been very protected by her mother; she guesses it is partly because she is deaf, partly because her dad is dead and partly she had a terrible accident when she was a baby. But when she is knocked over by a car, her life takes a whole new turn. Suddenly she and her Mom are on the run and everything that she has known about her life before is suddenly questioned. What is the truth? And will she ever discover it? As her life unravels, Shelby retreats into a fantasy world of the Dreaming a place infused with old, old Mythology. Part-adventure, part-mystery and part a teenager’s journey of self-discovery, There Will Be Liesis dramatic and unexpected in equal measure. ~ Julia Eccleshare
Teens love to read and so in addition to our Lovereading expert opinion some of our Lovereading4kids Reader Review Panel were also lucky enough to read and review this title.
- Amelia White, age 15 'This is an AMAZING BOOK, I could not put it down I loved reading this and would really recommend it to people who have read Lake’s other books.' Read full review >
- Ella Hollingshead, age 13 - 'A truly captivating storyline- a tantalising mystery with a twist of fantasy makes this a book you will not want to put down until you've read it through to the end.' Read full review >
- Eloise Mae Clarkson - '. I literally could not put this book down I read it all in one day. I would give this book five out of five stars amazing.' Read full review >
- Louisa Alice Cunliffe, age 17 - 'A book that started with so much promise but in the end left a feeling of disappointment. It left me wondering, I had missed something?' Read full review >
- Inés Davies, age 14 - 'I think that it is a good book and I would recommend it but it takes very thorough reading and understanding.' Read full review >
- Susanna Wagstaff, age 12 - 'This gripping, mysterious fantasy filled with surprises is an unforgettable read, perfect for any fan of mysteries.' Read full review >
- Phoebe Allan, age 14 - 'an incredibly dramatic book. With a complex story line, it certainly gains and keeps your full attention...definitely a recommended read.' Read full review >
- Erin Monaf, age 12 - 'I simply couldn’t put this book down because every page made a new mystery. I would recommend this one to just about anyone who like me, loves to read.' Read full review >
- Jay Hughes, age 13 - 'Shelby’s past is hidden from her.' Read full review >
- Farah Alam - 'I really enjoyed this book. I think the plot was interesting as well the writing.' Read full review >
There Will be Lies by Nick Lake
Shelby Jane Cooper is seventeen, pretty and quiet. It's just Shelby and her mom, Shaylene, a court stenographer who wears pyjama jeans, stitches tapestry, eats ice-cream for dinner and likes to keep Shelby safe. So safe she barely goes out. So safe she doesn't go to school. Because anything could happen, to a girl like Shelby. Anything. When Shelby gets knocked down by a car, it's not just her leg that's broken: Shelby's world is shattered. Her mom turns up to collect her and drives off into the night, like it's the beginning of a road trip, like two criminals on the run, like Thelma and Louise or Bonnie and Clyde. And somehow, everywhere she looks, there's a coyote watching her, talking to her, telling her not to believe. Who is Shelby Jane Cooper? If the person who keeps you safe also tells you lies, who can you trust?
About the Author
Interest Age: From 12
More books by Nick Lake
Author's Facebook Latest
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
4th June 2015
I love lovereading4kids because I’ve read amazing books I would never have picked up, and its opened doors to new genre’s I now love.Harriet Cunningham
It’s a community united by a passion for books and promoting the best there is in children’s literature.Sam Bateman and family
This company is amazing; not only is it is a great opportunity to get books and review them but everyone is so friendly and supportive!Jemma Rubens, age 10
I love all the books they recommend & put up for me to review. I also love the fact that they give new authors the chance to share their booDaisy Pennock – age 15
It is THE website to use for narrowing down your search for any book. Definitely knocks the socks off any other book review website.Nickey and Tomasz Hawryszczuk
At @HHSHaringey we love @lovereading4kids because our pupils can practice reviewing & get free upcoming books before anyone else!Helen Swinyard – Heartlands High
I am so pleased to have signed my kids up as they are reading a much wider range of books and even choosing books out of their comfort zone.Angela East
I love ‘LoveReading 4 kids’ because they let you read and learn things you’d never dreamed of learning before.Emily Horncastle – age 11